Center console ideas??

LODI QUACKER

Seaman
I want to switch over from a side to a center console on my boat. I am trying to get ideas for the best CC out there. Manufactered or custom, it doesnt mater just trying to get some ideas and insight. Any ideas on where to al least find some in photos? Or other ideas?

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Center console ideas??

I have found boat salvage yards and craigslist to be very helpful when looking for items like that. With a little glass work you can make your own or refurbish a cheap used one.

LODI QUACKER

Seaman

I have a 27 foot jon boat, so AL is going to be my route, I pretty much just want some ideas on what kind of console layout is best or a place to see some pics to get ideas. Thanks.

jonesg

Admiral

Consider planning for the rigging, the usual way is to run all the cables (steerings etc) under the deck in a 3 inch plastic pipe, I used the grey PVC pipe from home depot.

Look at a few CC's, see where the pipe exits at the transom end, you need to accomodate the sweeping curve for the steering cable, no 90deg corners.
It also should be sealed to the deck at both ends as water will want to get in there from either end.

Its a great project, not difficult if you plan it out correctly.
Have to say, a 3 inch pipe gets crowded real quick.:redface:

Anyway, this is the guy you need to talk to, pick his pocket.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=262040

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I installed a CC in my utility and it will behove you to PLAN ahead, because it is easier when everything is more accessable.

and as for the no 90 degree bends on the steering cable...my cable said NOTHING less than 8" radius!!!!

90 degree is ok as long as the radius is very large!!! heck if it is long enough you could make a circle with it!! ha ha

I ran four large dia hoses for all my stuff, EXCEPT the steering and control cables..

they went under the floor on their own....they need to find their own way.

do you have an Aluminum or Fiberglass boat?

good luck

bob

LODI QUACKER

Seaman

All that stuff will be taken care of by the boat builder I just want to see some different consoles. Any ideas?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

google todd consoles. i looked at their, chose the best of several of them, then built my own.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like Jonesg says, plan the function first, then the form.

Most of the center consoles on ebay have the "money shot" pic that shows the center console setup. Boattraderonline (or whatever it's called now) is another good place to sit at home and look at boats. There are many more sites, but these have thousands.

You don't see 27 center console jon boats everyday.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

2dwak4p.jpg

this is a picture of my 20 footer with the console

I just bought the factories console..but after I added the gauges i want and that BIG monster OMC control box....my console space was all used up. The hole for the steering was already there , as were a few opening the factory uses.

i didnt use one of them and now I have that left open...plus i cut a bunch of other openings...

i added a side hatch for easy access to my fuse panel..( dont want to be upside down trying to replace fuses out on the water!)

you want a grab rail for sure...most after market consoles are all fiberglass

Todd makes a bunch

you can type in Helm for your search as well..might get some more or different views.

make sure there is room for your deoth finder and or GPS and or radio for easy viewin g while under way

good luck

bob

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've always wanted to own a CC then a year ago I found a Lowe 19' CC, bought it and was perfect for what I was fishing for...trolling for Stripers in the Delta.
A long story short, I upgraded to this...a 2001 VIP 18.5' BaySealth with a Yamaha 115. Although the freeboard was lower than I wanted, I decided to buy it. Best boat I've owned so far. Takes the waves/wake great and hauls butt. As mentioned before, check out Craigslist for ads, go check them out and decide for yourself whether it'll fit the bill or not :rolleyes:

358847922.jpg