50 HP merc has me up in the air

Motor: 50 HP merc 1986 3cyl

This thing has me in a bundle right now. Cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is. First thing this motor was running 3 weeks ago and was running great. Then all of a sudden i was prepping the boat at home to take it out on the lake the next day and now it won't start. The starter engages the flywheel and just spins. I almost sounds like the dead man switch is in the off position but it is in the run position.

There is a faint spark not anything to jump about so i think this could be a problem, I did disconnect the black/yellow wires to see if that helped and it did not.

Also disconnected both the yellow wires from the rectifier and still no luck.

Changed spark plugs no luck.

I do not have the DVM meter to test the switch box so all i can say is with a volt meter it was getting some very faint readings on the volt meter.

My question is could it be the stator or the trigger assembly under the fly wheel. Is there any actual way to test these without removing the fly wheel. Are these two pieces of equipment hard to change. I was going to do it my self, have worked on smaller outboards before.

Thanks for any help!!!
Jesse

Laddies

Banned
Re: 50 HP merc has me up in the air

It sounds like the stator you can check it with a OHM meter if you have one we can give you the specs.

I have a ohm meter and that is how i have been checking but did not have the exact specs. I also noticed that the wires coming off the stator leading to the rectifier are corroded. I was pushing some of the wires around this am and found one that has the insulation completely off and the wire looks green. I know this can't help the cause. If i were to change the stator should i do the trigger at the same time or let it be for now?

THanks for the the help Laddies

Jesse

Laddies

Banned

This should help
scan0002-1.jpg