center console controls-advice?

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have installed a yamaha 115hp outboard on a Bonito "Boston Whaler type" boat w/center console. The problem is the motor comes with side-mount controls.
I have yamaha 704 binnacle controls to switch over to.
Is this conversion a pain in the tail or what?

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: center console controls-advice?

I recently faced this same issue (free boat in my sig)... I finally decided that it was worth it to just buy a top mount control. As for the cables, you MAY have room to coil them or route differently, but you can not reasonably shorten them. The best bet is to purchase new cables.

cr2k

Captain

You can mount the control on the side of the console. The handle can be positioned where you need it.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

115HP is a lot of engine. How big is the boat?

Here's a shot of my jonboat console with side controls. Nothin' fancy but it works OK.

Interior010.jpg

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the responses. The mounting of the controls on the side of the center console probably would work but I already have a hole in the dash from old controls. I checked here (T.O., Ont., Can.) and new Yamaha "binnacle" controls are literally hundreds of dollars!
I'm thinking there's got to be aftermarket controls or some less expensive option!

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the boat is 18ft. and rated to 115h.p. It is an '82 and the Yamaha is an 84 I think. Figured the motor is a little lighter then a 115 in 1982.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

i'm using a teleflex unit.... If you wanna save some coin, get on ebay and c/l and pick up a used unit

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

o.k. I have purchased a 704 binnacle control and am now at the stage where I need to tear down the side mount 703 controls so that I can pull the ignition, choke switch and emergency kill switch to be mounted in the dash. The binnacle controls have trim/tilt switch built in and they allow for advancing throttle without being in gear. Any tips, tricks or other knowledge gained from experience working with these controls would be greatly appreciated. What can I expect? will it be straight forward or am I opening a can of worms?