CBS coverage of F1 stinks!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What a lousy job they did. :mad: <br /><br />Camera work was okay, but the direction, narrative and timing were really terrible. They didn't even cover the post-race press conference.<br /><br />I've seen better coverage of local dirt track "stock" cars.<br /><br />That's bad enough, but the SPEED channel is now glutted with NASCAR. :mad:

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer
Re: CBS coverage of F1 stinks!!

Feel for you JB.<br /><br />I'm a fan of F1 and we get, without adverts, full coverage of all practice sessions, qualifying and the full race. When the main TV station breaks for occasional interludes the sound just dissapears for a minute or two but we miss no visuals. We also get to see the post race interviews etc.<br /><br />Do you guys also get the insert on the screen showing the G Force meter as the drivers corner and accelerate?<br /><br />I suppose F1 is not big enough in the States?

JB

Speed channel does an excellent job for us, Andrew, though we do have to put up with commercials. We do get the G-force, seperation timing, and sometimes the rev counter and throttle data, too.<br /><br />I much prefer the matter-of-fact manner of speed channel's narrators vs. the hysterical shouting of the CBS guys, who have good F1 credentials but poor direction.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the UK F1 coverage is pretty much ok but a few weeks ago it was three laps from the end ,it could be anyones race ,shumacker was storming through and guess what? yea you got it they went to commercials missed all the action only came back on for the finish ,,,Shocking!!

PW2

Commander

I never did figure out exactly what happened when Montoya got DQ'd.<br /><br />He was leading the race until the need for a safety car--Kimi made the pits and he was ok, and then Montoya went to the pits, and ran a red light???<br /><br />Someone explain it to me!

Laddies

Banned

CBS sports need to clean up their act, its no wonder their down to tennis and golf, it is slow enough for the commentaters to keep up with the action and how about the evening news I thought Rather was bad but aleast he could remember what he was lieing about--Bob

JB

When Montoya was ready to leave the pits the safety car and entourage were passing. He was not allowed to re-enter until they were past. There is a light at the pit exit that is green (go) or red (stop). It was red. He ran it.<br /><br />Really bad luck. He pitted from the lead and ended up disqualified. He should have entered when the pack was by. He would still have been in the points with time and room to advance.<br /><br />I am glad Kimi won, though. He should have won four already but twice had mechanical failure when in the lead. It was Alonzo's turn to break when he had the race practically won. <br /><br />Kimi got into the pits after the caution and before the safety car was out so was able to rejoin in the lead. The same timing that ruined Montoya's race put Kimi in the lead.<br /><br />I hate to see luck, cautions and stewards determine a race. I want to see the best package of car, driver, pit crew and strategy win races.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

I hate to see luck, cautions and stewards determine a race. I want to see the best package of car, driver, pit crew and strategy win races.
I agree with you 100% JB.<br /><br />F1 is far better to watch this year due to the radical rule changes. Having said that I'm not happy with them having to run final qualify and the whole race on the same tyres, the pit crews going head to head is a part of racing.

dolluper

Captain

JB I think you had it better than me we only had it on a "FRENCH CHANNEL" :mad: :mad: and the comentators going "oooh La La" all the time was enough to drive you crazy especially when the english was slightly in the background CBS would have been enjoyable in ENGLISH at least But if I had cable it would've been an opition,no only anntenna-vision :D

KaGee

Admiral

#1. Don't most of the networks here pull their F-1 video from a pool? I heard one of the SPEED people make a comment about it in the last two weeks. Said they had no control.<br /><br />#2. NASCAR is quickly becoming like F-1 in that nearly all the races have been won by a member from one of two teams. That becomes uninteresting real fast. Sometimes I wonder if NASCAR is becoming a motorized version of the WWE (or whatever they call the pro wrestling group these days).

JB

Ahoy, KG.<br /><br />#1. Yes, the video is pooled, but the narration and direction are supplied by the broadcaster.<br /><br />#2. Those things go in cycles. Nobody dominates for long before someone else gets an edge. I just can't get excited about all-left-turn bumper to bumper traffic, too many crashes and FAR too much hype. Jeez! They quit if it starts to sprinkle! :eek:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> JB I think you had it better than me we only had it on a "FRENCH CHANNEL" :mad: :mad: and the comentators going "oooh La La" all the time was enough to drive you crazy especially when the english was slightly in the background CBS would have been enjoyable in ENGLISH at least But if I had cable it would've been an opition,no only anntenna-vision :D
I about choked on my carmel corn here! ROFLMAO!<br />That would've drove anybody nuts...Except my daughter. She watches NASCAR with the TV muted...Says she cannot stomach the commentators with the "boogity-boogety-boogety,let's go racin boys!!"<br />I can't say i blame her.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I don't watch F-1 but in the past I've watched a few minutes here and there of F-1 races so I'm a little ignorant here.<br /><br />I love open wheel racing tho and its embarassing to admit I'm a CART 'fan' and seeing how that league is almost dead and in need of a serious "jump start" I'm thinking F-1 will be getting another follower soon since CART pulled out of the Road America course here in Elkhart Lake.<br /><br />My question is : Is it really that poor compared to past years coverage and comentating? or was/is it just as bad but you all were paying attention to it?<br /><br />Reason I ask is that in the past I could hardly watch the open-wheel broadcasts because of the poor coverage. It drove me nuts!! is it still AS BAD or is it geting worse?

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class

Didn't expect to find so many F1 fans on iboats. Yes, the CBS coverage is something to be dreaded, although I guess we should be glad they're showing some interest even thought they present it something like ***** eye meets the survivor. Derek Daly is actually capable of intelligent commentary if policy allows.<br /><br />I'll be at the USGP this week in Indianapolis. Nothing like hearing those bad boys close up. I have to wear race headphones these days because of all the hearing damage I took on the first two years at Indy. I pretty much hear F1 cars all the time now.<br /><br />Whenever CBS does the F1 race, Speed usually does their broadcast the following Friday so you can watch with the real comentators. Can't get the Speed web site to come up right now so I don't know the time.<br /><br />While I think a lot of the new rules are bogus, it has been an interesting year so far. The thing I really hate about the new rules is that we'd probably be seeing 20,000 rpm by now with the old engine rules. Oh well.

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class

Barlow, I missed your post before I posted. Road America is my favorite track. I first saw CART race there in 1983 and have only missed 1 year since. Big hole in my schedule this year, but I will be there for ALMS. Unfortunately, work is going to get in the way of the vintage race this year.<br /><br />I would love to see F1 race there, but I doubt RA is going to come up with the 50-60 million facility upgrade required.<br /><br />I'm not sure if race broadcasts are really getting worse or if I'm just getting less tolerant of stupidity. I remember that 20 years ago or so, the last 20 laps or so of the Indy 500's seemed to consist almost entirely of nervous wife shots. I do think that ABC tends to be better than CBS.

JB

Actually, Barlow, I think SPEED's coverage of F1 is better than it has ever been.<br /><br />My complaint about CBS is that a huge network ought to do a better job than SPEED and they don't, by a long shot.<br /><br />I was a CART (Champ Car) fan for many years, but have to admit that IRL has gotten the better drivers and now has the hype of the Danica phenomenon. My objection to IRL is that they haven't learned how to turn right, use brakes or shift gears.<br /><br />I think I like the new rules in F1. I get a thrill in watching the teams overcome every new rule designed to slow them down. They just go faster. It remains to be seen how they will deal with the new, smaller (2.4 liter) V8s mandated for next year. I expect them to turn the new engines at 20,000+rpm and go faster anyway.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I've been disappointed in SPEED ever since they cut back on WRC coverage drastically. I know what you're saying about the all-left-turn thing, JB. That's why I always like to watch the rally racers--some of the world's best driving in some awesome venues. That being said, I do drop in on some F1 races from time to time.

JB

Amen to that. Ol' Norse.<br /><br />WRC is driving raised to a level beyond art. To what? Magic, I guess. I watched them a lot. Too bad they don't do it head to head, but that would probably turn into carnage.<br /><br />I, too am disappointed with SPEED's domonation by NASCAR. Old races, minor races, talking about it, analyzing it; turning race drivers into icons like entertainment celebrities. They now have a race driver celebrity poker game show for crying out loud! :mad: <br /><br />I don't think that will please motorhead racing fanatics. We want to watch racing at the top of the sport. If a race driver becomes a celebrity, let him/her earn it on the track, not through a publicity agent. <br /><br />Let's hope that they keep F1 and ALMS.

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G,day. Here in Australia we get the British coverage with British commentators. It would appear that the Poms (British) get more commercials than we do, When we return from a commercial break the commentators are usually just chatting amongst themselves than after about 60 seconds they will resume the commentry. And I thought that we had too many adverts.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I'm sorry, but I don't share everyone's disdain for NASCAR. I used to. Way back when, I was a devoted fan of the old CAN-AM series - when you could run anything you could get on the track. I remember seeing Peter Revson and Denny Hulme battle it out in cars with monster engines - 512 cubic inch aluminum Chevrolet engines. And Porsche, with their 917 stretch-tails and 5-stage turbos. That was real racing. Very few rules, race what you brung and beat the competition.<br /><br />Then they changed the rules and instituted restrictions which killed the series. Now I'm a NASCAR fan - not like CAN-AM, but I like it.<br /><br />NASCAR separates the claim-to-be rednecks from the true rednecks. I guess I'm a true one.