Cav. Plate & Trim Tab Clearance

procraft180

Cadet
Quick question. I have put a new stainless prop on my outboard. I have about the same distance between the tip of the blade and the cav plate, which is 1/2'', and the same distance of 1/2'' between the tip of the blade and the trim tab. YOu'll think this is enough? Want an opinion before I get out the Dremel on the trim tab! I wouldn't think the prop would flex this much. Had close to the same clearance with the old alum prop, maybe just a tad more. Went from a 13" dia. to a 13 1/4" dia. prop.<br /><br />My thinking, if it flexed enough to hit the trim tab, it would also be hitting the cav plate.<br /><br />Thanks!!

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Cav. Plate & Trim Tab Clearance

Mine runs closer than that, and I've had no problems.....that's on a 200..

procraft180

Cadet

Thanks Kenny, quick reply! This is on a Merc 115. I was thinking it would be okay, but wanted an iboats expert opinion.

procraft180

Cadet

I purchased a 13 1/4x18 Turbo 2+2X for my Merc 115 4-Stroke on a 18'4 ProCraft F&S, and what a difference that prop made. The old prop was a 13x19 OEM alum prop. I could only turn 5400RPM at WOT on a good day with a normal load, but now, I can turn 5700-5800 at WOT with a normal load. Taking the boat tommorrow to have the engine raised up a hole, I can trim all the way up without blowing out, so will see what difference one hole will make. I am already noticing a big improvement in fuel mileage, guess I really eliminated some slip. I dropped about 3 MPH, but the performance everywhere else makes up for it.<br /><br />Thanks to IBoats for the the forum where I learned much about props! Walleyehed and DHadley thanks too!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Mine is about 1/4 by 1/4 passing and it is enough, even with a LOOSE PROP NUT. <br /><br />Mark