caulk, RTV,silicone???

amidaeus

Seaman
I have a 1980, 21 ft, cuddy cabin and I am redoing the floor and some other things. I have removed all the guts from the boat and as I took out the windows I noticed that they were sealed with something that looked like caulk. The stuff basically turned to powder when I removed it. My question is...What would be best to put back in it's place? I also have a drain from the sink that goes through the hull and I would like to reseal the drain plug receptacle. Any ideas??

Bearcamp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: caulk, RTV,silicone???

Ok here we go, silicone promotes rust on metal. So if you have metal near by, I wouldn't use it. I work in a motor home facility and we use a product called Sikaflex. I know it's expensive but it works and doesn't promote rust. Also holds up alot better and longer. When it dries you can paint it (which silicone you can't)and dries to almost a silicone type texture. Good stuff if you can find it. As far as colors go, I know we use black.

crab bait

Captain

chaulks an sealers is a boats worst enemy.imho..all they are is a band-aid.. a wisp of hope to ease the mind.. ( " it should be fine... i chaulked it"..)<br /><br />but in reality it'll fail over time in a major way..<br /><br />if'n it's perminate .. hands down 3m 5200..<br /><br />barring rustin' metal contact... i'd go with rtv... <br /><br />rtv is the 'indusrial' silicone ...

pungolee

Cadet

I work for Dow Corning and produce this stuff everyday.RTV means room temperature vulcanizing,translation,it hardens when out of the tube.I recommend DAP kitchen and bath 100 percent silicone,we add a microbial agent to it so mold wont form on the dried bead.Silicone is worthless below the waterline,but will not promote corrosion to aluminum or stainless.