Caulk, bedding compound, filler

Key west Tom

Seaman Apprentice
I'm just about to reinstall my floor after replacing my fuel tank. When the boat was built they used some type of THICK caulk or bedding compound to take up the gaps between the ribs and supporting structure and the floor. Does anyone know what that is and where I can buy some. The "caulk" is white and just simi hard, you can cut it with a sawzall or chainsaw but it is very tough.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Try to post some pics. Welcome aboard. Their are many ways to address this but pics help alot.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
personally I use pl premium for all joints, bedding stringersand filling for fiberglass overlays I use pb "that's cabosil, chopped fiberglass strands and resin , can also use diatomatious earth , micro balloons or any other filler you desire that doesn't trap moisture .

Key west Tom

Seaman Apprentice
mickyryan, what is "pl premium" ? I have allready used the peanut butter mix to install the ledge that will support the floor section that was cut out. The way the boat was built was they used this putty/caulk to support the floor down to the ribs of the hull and I would like to do the same. The ribs of the hull come up to within about 1 1/2" from the bottom of the floor, that inch or so of space was filled with some type of caulk, I e-mailed the manufacturer of the boat and they said it is a "capping putty" and they get in bulk. Like I said, this stuff cures to a simi-hard state and supports the floor.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
To directly answer your questions...

PL is a construction adhesive you will have no problem find in Home Depot or any other home improvement center.

The direct replacement for the putty you have based on your description would be 3M 5200 or 4200. Both will cure to the same exact material you described.

With that said, the factory is wrong in leaving 1.5 inch of a gap between the bulkheads (what you call rips) and the bottom if the deck. I am not sure if they cut wrong and tried to fix it or what but a full 1.5 gap doesn't sound right to me

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Key West Tom, how about posting a few pictures of your boat and setup. I'd like to see how it was originally built. I also suggest to wait for folks on these forums to see what you are working with before replacing things. I think there may be a better idea to do that. Just need to see what your dealing with first. JMHO

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
pl premium is a polyurethane construction adhesive it will work below and above the waterline, it will always be stronger then the wood you are bonding to.
There is a 8x strong and a 3x strong , the three x is what I prefer , also there is fuze it now and that is basically same thing but they say it can bond to anything .