Castrol TC-W3 any good?

jjboor

Seaman
Hi,<br /><br />I found a guy here in Holland selling a 10 gallon drum of Castrol TC-W3. Does anyone have any experience with this particular oil?<br /><br />And does the oil get worse with age? Anything else I should consider?<br />It would be for my '88 120HP V4 'Rude.<br />I'd love to run a synthetic oil, but hey that's out of my budget here in Holland(20U$ for a liter). Even if you do get to locate a dealer who has it.<br /><br />I think i can get this drum of him for 200U$ otherwise I will start using Evinrudes xd-30 at 370U$ for the same 10 gallons.<br /><br />What does everybody think?

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Castrol TC-W3 any good?

Dutch:<br /><br />Castrol TC-W3 oil is a great oil, if you can get it for a good price, by all means go for it.

ZmOz

Captain

$200 for 10 gallons? :eek: :eek: <br /><br />Pretty much any TCW-3 oil is a "good" oil...

jjboor

Seaman

well ZmOz it's the best price I will be getting here... trust me it :eek: :eek: me more than you.. ;) <br /><br />After these replies I will buy the drum but it will need to be sealed.. if not thx but no thx!

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Middleground:<br /> Castrol is a very reputable company, and their TCW-3 should be very good quality. Speaking for myself, I'd like to know if it is NMMA certified first, but it should be fine. The J/E XD 30 is also an excellent oil - I use that myself.<br /><br />
I just bought a few US quarts of Castrol TCW3 at a good price and see on the label they're NMMA certified. Haven't run it, but expect it will be just fine.

BF

Lieutenant

well, I just bought a 1 gallon jug... cost me $19.99 here (Canadian). Been using it a couple seasons, no complaints.

sangerwaker

Commander

I have been using this stuff for about 18 months in 2 different motors, both injection type and have had no problems or complaints. Lucky for me I guess, as it is only $8.99 per gallon at my local Wally world.

gss036

Commander

Any one knows who makes it for them? There are not that many companies that make TCW3. Shell/Texaco/Penzoil&WalMart e-tech are all from the same source and all are blue. Exxon/Esso's oil is red. I used a 55 gal drum of Esso in my Merc 200 w/o any problems. Have since switched over to Penzoil blend.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by gss036:<br /> Any one knows who makes it for them? There are not that many companies that make TCW3. Shell/Texaco/Penzoil&WalMart e-tech are all from the same source and all are blue. Exxon/Esso's oil is red. I used a 55 gal drum of Esso in my Merc 200 w/o any problems. Have since switched over to Penzoil blend.
All the oil companies make their own. Just because it is the same color doesn't mean it's the same oil. The only places that don't make their own are not oil companies, like Walmart and Quicksilver.