casting platform for a dauntless 16ft

corelone

Recruit
has anyone rigged a casting platform on a 16ft dauntless using the forward seat holder or putting one on the back as a poling platform?

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: casting platform for a dauntless 16ft

i'm don't know how high a platform you want but we just rigged a simple platform for my son's 14ft boat. lowe's sells a 24 in high folding work platform for about $35. we fiberglassed a piece of 5/8 plywood to put on top to make it a little wider and longer and painted it with non-skid paint. we put eyebolts through the frame on each end and on the gunwales ofthe boatso that we could fasten it down with 2 long turnbuckes ans some steel cable. the cable and turnbuckle hold it plenty secure for poling, running on the water and trailering. but for long hauls to lessen the wind resistance or covering the boat it collapses down to about 4 in thick and a bungee cord between the eyebolts that are on the gunwales keeps it secure. if you needed up higher the legs could easily be lengthened about 8-10 inches and it still would collapse for storage. because we used the commercialy made platform for the legs it is an amazingly good looking platform for a couple of beginners with a drill and a saw.

corelone

Recruit
Re: casting platform for a dauntless 16ft

many thanks.I have seen pictures of boats with what looks like a commercially made platform.