Carter Carb #9770s

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carter Carb #9770s

The kit I got is an Edelbrock 1477. It was $40.00 @ Speed Unlimited, a local speed shop. Summit has it for $34. Like Bond-o said everything was the same, with the exception of the discharge ball.

My carb was totally clogged up, every passage, I couldn't see the jets there was so much crud in the carb.

Thank you..my carb functions great in all conditions except on "hot starts". Not sure what might be causing that:confused:

el_coqui

Cadet

Thank you..my carb functions great in all conditions except on "hot starts". Not sure what might be causing that:confused:

Check your timing, if its too advanced it'll have a hot start problem.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

hot start issues are common - they "percolate" and dump raw gas into the intake. Try giving a touch of throttle without pumping.

MTribe08

hot start issues are common - they "percolate" and dump raw gas into the intake. Try giving a touch of throttle without pumping.

Thank you 180..I do remember now on our last outing, doing just that. Just a bit of gas and holding it there..it fired up. I'm just wondering if thats normal, or like he said, a possible timing issue.

When you say "percolate", are you saying that the engine may become "flooded" a bit after I shut er down hot?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

It is not normal, but it is common.

Yes, when you stop heat soak can cause the gas to "boil" in the fuel bowl - dump in to the intake and yes you will essentially be flooded.

Cracking the throttle open a little adds more air at startup to compensate.

MTribe08

It is not normal, but it is common.

Yes, when you stop heat soak can cause the gas to "boil" in the fuel bowl - dump in to the intake and yes you will essentially be flooded.

Cracking the throttle open a little adds more air at startup to compensate.

Thank you..is there anything I can do to the carb to prevent it from "heat soaking?" I assume its caused from heat buildup inside the doghouse. What about installing a vent on the front side of the doghouse to allow more fresh air into the engine compartment?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

WAGGY - I suspect it is an issue of weak/old/misadjusted floats and seats in the fuel bowl cause it is rare on new carbs BUT achris had it happen on a brand new edelbrock so who nows for sure.

adding vents will not help without a blower running to get the air to move - and still just a maybe. Opening the hatch while just floating might help, might not, butit is free, so.... The heat source is the giant chunk of 200* iron the carb is bolted on top of - phenolic spacer might help - might not.

I chose to just crack the throttle a little and deal with it that way.

cr2k

Captain

If the small ball is not so small that it gets lodged in it's seat it might be OK.

On a rochester if you mix the balls up you have a problem because the large ball will wedge in the passage the small ball is for.

Hot Start;

look at your main jet venturis the ones that stick down in the main openings. They usually have a very tiny hole somewhere on top to break any siphon that may occur when the engine is turned off. If the hole is plugged and the venturis are lower then the float level they will siphon gas into the carb until it reaches the level of the gas in the float bowl. Usually very tiny. Don't enlarge these holes as it will make your engine run lean.

MTribe08

]Hot Start;

look at your main jet venturis the ones that stick down in the main openings. They usually have a very tiny hole somewhere on top to break any siphon that may occur when the engine is turned off. If the hole is plugged and the venturis are lower then the float level they will siphon gas into the carb until it reaches the level of the gas in the float bowl. Usually very tiny. Don't enlarge these holes as it will make your engine run lean.

Thanks! I will get out there in the morning and see if I can figure out what you are referring to..if I can't I'll take a picture. How should I go about unplugging it? compressed air?

MTribe08

If the small ball is not so small that it gets lodged in it's seat it might be OK.

On a rochester if you mix the balls up you have a problem because the large ball will wedge in the passage the small ball is for.

Hot Start;

Here is a picture of what I think you are referring to. Couldnt find any obvious holes. Am I looking in the right spot?
b3ff08b0.jpg