Carpeting, flooring and fiberglass newb questions

ob12

Cadet
Ok, I am pretty new to boating in general and really new to working on boats, (although I do have much experience working on cars). Ok, I bought an older bayliner open bow, 19' boat a year or so ago. The carpet was in pretty bad shape, so I want to replace it, but I was worried about replacing the whole floor, (boat is an 84 and previous owner did not take good care of boat). So I pulled the carpet up this weekend from the floor, (which was really, really easy, about 10mins worth of work), and found the wood underneath to be in pretty good shape. It is not really rotten at all, but does need to be sanded slightly. <br />Ok, so the new plan is to replace the carpet. So I am assuming I should sand down this old wood to freshen it up a bit, then epoxy that wood to protect it from water right? If this is possible/good idea, what products should I use to epoxy floor? And on top of that, where should I buy the carpet and glue? I don't plan on owning this boat forever, as it is a good starter boat for my family while we are learning. So any suggestions or tips would be great!!<br /><br />Also, while doing this, I noticed the front of the boat is slightly thin, the fiberglass I mean, because I can see light coming through, (not broken just thin), probably from the boat being beached alot. How should I go about fixing this, if it is even fixable? Can I just put some fiber glass sheets on the inside to reinforce the area, or should I cut it out? Any suggestions with product links would be great here too.<br /><br />Thanks for the suggestions and I hope I have added enough information.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Carpeting, flooring and fiberglass newb questions

Your plan sounds good. Clean up the old floor. Coat it with epoxy. Any name brand is fine (west systems, RAKA, MAS, System Three). <br /><br />I am not that familiar with carpet and glue assuming you want something more than the basic outdoor carpeting at HD or Lowes. I know Boaters World and West Marine carry marine flooring products.<br /><br />With regard to the thin hull, is the exterior damaged? Do you have a picture? Yes, the inside can be reinforced with some fiberglass cloth applied with epoxy. I know Bayliner had a period of time when their hulls were thin compared to other manufacturers.

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ob1, the flooe should be fine repairing the way you said. fishingdan has the right idea bout reinforcing the worn hull area. Make sure before you apply any glue that the area is sanded and cleaned very, very well. <br />Try and get in touch with member ' Realgun', he has a bayliner that he knows inside out and can prolly answer all your questions easly.<br />cheers

Realgun

Commander

Thank tengals123. :) <br /><br />Is the worn area just the gelcoat worn off? If its just the gelcoat you will see the light so to speak. Best bet is to get some epoxy and glass tape. Sand the area around the warn area from the outside. This gives you some bite for the epoxy. Brush on some epoxy then put the tape into this. Come back later and brush a thin coat over this area.<br />
288.jpg
<br />That white stripe right in the bottom is where the gelcoat is missing on the outside. Contrary to popular belief the hull is fairly thick there, the gelcoat is just rubbed off.<br /><br />If the glass has been comprimised you will need a filler to bring out the hull and add strength and more tape. <br /><br />I covered my repair with a Keelguard. Looks better than new.<br /><br />
634.jpg

Realgun

Commander

BTW ob1 Welcome to iBOATS!!!<br /><br />Best bet is to sand the floor coat with two coats of epoxy. then sand the epoxy lightly and the sides where you removed to old carpet. Better yet get a wire wisk for a drill or angle grinder works wonders to get the old glue off fast. Then recarpet the carpet protects the epoxy from U/V light. If exposed to log it turn yellow and gets brittle.

kevin500

Seaman Apprentice

Realgun: Where did you get your keelguard from? It would be nice here with all the rocks, dead heads, etc.... Might not be pretty to some, but it is a whole lot better than the alternative.

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ob1, I told you realgun knows the bayliner.<br /><br />cheers

ob12

Cadet

Realgun, yes that is exactly what my boat looks like. Freaked me out, as I was thinking one small hit would sink my boat. At any rate, so you did your repairs on the outside then covered with keel guard? I could do that. I have been mulling over the keel guard myself, but wasnt' sure if it was a good buy at like $150 or so. <br />So any one part epoxy sealer will do for the wood then? I am going to start sanding this week and hopefully start laying some epoxy this weekend. Any good places to get carpet? I have a big Cabellas outlet close by and was thinking on saving shipping costs, unless anyone has a better place to buy from. <br />Also, thank you to everyone for the helpful posts!! You guys rock!!