Carpet/ Flooring

bdanie

Cadet
Here in about a month I'm going to start the fun task of replacing the carpet and fixing a few weak spots in the floor. I've been checking out carpet and other flooring but I'm not sure where to begin on trying to pick something out. Any ideas or suggestions? I have a 19ft Capri

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carpet/ Flooring

I would go to the restoration section and search the threads there.

I done my floors last spring I had only a couple soft spots but wound up doing a lot more than just patch it in I done the whole floor.

I was lucky my foam floation was dry and my stringers are hollow fiberglass(no wood to rot) so they didn't need rebuilding . All together it cost me less than $800, but took me a few days to do it by myself with out any one to help me.

njrextreme

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your looking for decent carpet for a decent price, check out menards. I am doing the same thing you are about to start and so far its looking good. I bought the marine deck glue and a 8x18 foot piece of marine carpet. Wasnt that much per sq. ft.. Im sure iboats sells it here also. :cool:

bdanie

Cadet

Thanks....What I'm looking to do is where i have the 2 soft spots is a pretty high traffic area for getting in and out of the boat after tubing or swimming. Thats also where the carpet is worn the most. For high traffic areas like that do they make a thicker carpet or what have others done. I was thinking of just getting a extra piece of carpet as a throw down piece.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I hope for your sake I'm wrong, but I'll take odds that you'll be replacing the entire floor, not just fixing some soft spots. I'd be checking out ways to redo the floors and not use carpet. Personally, I don't think installed/glued carpet belongs on any boat less then 30' LOA, and that's only in the cabin. The snap in is acceptable, but only on glass (moisture protected) floors.

bdanie

Cadet

I hope for your sake I'm wrong, but I'll take odds that you'll be replacing the entire floor, not just fixing some soft spots. I'd be checking out ways to redo the floors and not use carpet. Personally, I don't think installed/glued carpet belongs on any boat less then 30' LOA, and that's only in the cabin. The snap in is acceptable, but only on glass (moisture protected) floors.

I'm thinking i should just do the whole floor anyway since ill have the carpet up. More work but will be worth it. ......What options are out there for floors other than carpet that i'm not going to spend a ton of money on.

njrextreme

Petty Officer 1st Class

What year is the boat. If its 15 years or older, the carpet lasted that long. Re-do it again. Its not that much to do it.

a70eliminator

Captain

You'll probably use plywood for your deck, seal the underside with thinned resin, on the top do a complete layer of fiberglass mat then paint it, if you want crapet you then can custom fit a piece and sew in a binder hem on the edges with velcro, That what I'm going to over the winter because my carpet is just about worn out.

Ganis

Cadet

I just bought a 10 x 12 gray indoor/outdoor carpet from Homedopot $0.49 a sq ft. so about $60. I've used it before on different projects and it'll last a good while. just my .02 :D

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

You'll probably use plywood for your deck, seal the underside with thinned resin, on the top do a complete layer of fiberglass mat then paint it, if you want crapet you then can custom fit a piece and sew in a binder hem on the edges with velcro, That what I'm going to over the winter because my carpet is just about worn out.

^ Yup. there's your answer. That's what I was gonna do with my Bayliner. I sold it to a buddy, and that's what we (I told him I'd help) are gonna do. Non-skid baby! Added advantage - you can hose it down at the end of the day, and not worry about water retention.

bdanie

Cadet

What's the price difference with just laying new flooring and new carpet and laying new flooring and doing the fiberglass with the non skid. I would love to do the fiberglass and then some snap on carpet or the velcro but the boat is an 89 and i don't think i could talk the "Boss" into spending 2000 on the floor.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

When you redo your Deck (Boats don't have floors) if you Glass the top of the plywood and do a good job sealing any and all screw holes etc., then I would use Carpet again but I would attach it with Velcro. Easy to remove if needed and easy to re-install. Worked great for me

I'm just sayin...:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I used marine vinyl (nautolex) on my project and am thus far pleased with it.

eyes4u

Seaman

Hey Ezmobee, I am getting ready to put a new vinyl deck on my boat. How was your installation experience? Could you briefly describe it? Also, what did you do at the edges to get the vinyl to curl down over the edges of the plywood? Did you put any sort of sealer on the plywood before the vinyl? Thanks in advance for the help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I applied the nautolex brand adhesive with a large paintbrush and laid the vinyl down. I did get some air bubbles which are difficult to get rid of. However they have since pretty well disappeared. I did not roll the vinyl down over the edges. My side panels and bow structure secure it along all sides. There was one area under my consoles where I added some strip aluminum to provide additional mechanical fastening. You can kinda see that here http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2529.jpg the only place where it could possibly peel up is way in the stern under my spashwell which I wasn't real concerned about.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I'm thinking i should just do the whole floor anyway since ill have the carpet up. More work but will be worth it. ......What options are out there for floors other than carpet that i'm not going to spend a ton of money on.

Hello m8..

Other options ? erm.. what about not leaving your boat uncovered to be trashed ..

I mean.. you have a good cover ?

Carpet on the smaller boats is ok as long as they dont get soaked in water from hard rain or a hose washing away those nasty leaves ( vacuum ).

IMHO I would fix the bad wood in the Cockpit.. glue down some Marine grade rubber backed carpet.

Your High traffic areas that your thinking of putting some scrap carpet .. you might consider glueing back to back of the same carpet..then cut out to fit

Basically your back to back carpet is custom made "carpet to carpet" throw mats ( without having black backed rubber on carpet ) .. if you know what I mean..

Ive seen properly done carpet installed under 3" of ice and come back sweet without lifting in the thaw.. Think of Pontoons m8..

YD.

bdanie

Cadet

Hello m8..

Other options ? erm.. what about not leaving your boat uncovered to be trashed ..

I mean.. you have a good cover ?

Have a great cover!! Never left out always stored!! the boat is an 89 bought it from the orginal owner who kept it in their barn. After 21 years i think the carpet might wear a little bit.