Carolina Skiff JVX

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Carolina Skiff JVX

Hennessey,

I am enjoying my Key West 1520CC with a 70 hp 2 stroke Yamaha. I first saw it at the local boat show. It's a true v hull. I have used it in the St Johns river 3 times so far. The Scout is better quality but it's about $2000 more expensive and we didn't like the layout as much. on the 1520 we particularly like the long drivers seat as opposed to the 152CC which has the flip cooler seat. The 1520CC's quality is very good. I went with the 15 instead of the 17 so it would fit in my garage (with a swing tongue). It handles a light chop pretty well. With 3 or 4 aboard, 4 is capacity, it went on plane pretty easily at about 22 mph. I'm still breaking in the motor (about 4 hrs now). I had it up to 30 easily with plenty of throttle left. It came standard with digital tach, speedo and Matrix 727 fishfinder / GPS capable. I'm adding a GPS antenna for about $90. The only options I added was a pedestal seat on the front deck and a bimini top. The Key West was only a little more and I think it's a much better boat. The only minor gripe I had with the Key West was at idle with more weight in the back a little water comes in the scuppers but no big deal you just put in the scupper plugs and it stays dry. If you get some splash just take out the plugs under way and the water goes right out. I found even with some chop the boat is pretty dry. The finish is pretty good much better than the CS. Although the JVX 16 is finished better than the other CS models. I like the anchor compt which the CS doesn't have. All boats should have that.The KW is also wider than the JVX 82" vs 78. I suggest you try out the Key West for yourself. I wouldn't buy any boat without taking it out first. We're going out again this weekend, I can't wait! I hope this helps.

Ira C.

Cadet

I own a V238 Corolina Skiff with a 115 Yamaha. From what I can tell the new JVX is basically the same boat as my semi-v. At least they are very similar in shape. I love mine but will tell you the ride can be rough. I live on a TVA lake but have been in saltwater with it many times. The ride is sometimes rough but it is always dry.To me it is hard to beat these boats for price, weight, and durability.I also think the 60 is plenty of motor for that boat.

BonefishSkiff

Recruit

I own a JVX18 and love it. I put a 70 HP yamaha on it which is a 60 HP block with more umf and less weight. The Gras Shack said not to worry about tabs though. They were right. Boat is light enough with a 70 to plane quickly. Save the money on the tabs and put it in your engine - my opinion