Carolina Skiff 198 or Sea Pro SV2100

ajahman

Cadet
Hi guys,
I am looking at buying a new 2012 Carolina skiff 198 or a used 2005 sea pro sv2100 that is in pristine shape for about $8000 less than the skiff. I plan to use the boat primarily for inshore/bay fishing, family trips to the coastal Georgia islands and beaches of Wassaw & Ossabaw (I live in Savannah Ga.) as well as trips to the Fla. keys for Summer vacation. Wassaw and Ossabaw bay/sounds can get pretty snotty on a contrary wind and tide so the modified V and extra length of the SV2100 is in my head. The CS 198 has a shallower V but is wider and is brand new.Power:2005 SV2100 with 2005 Yamaha F150 four stroke, CS new Suzuki 115 four stroke. Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. I would appreciate any advice or comments. Thanks

agallant80

Commander
Re: Carolina Skiff 198 or Sea Pro SV2100

I don't know anything about seapro but my good friend has a 19' Carolina Skiff. It is a great boat. Has no issues with it and fishes the $#!+ out of it. He takes it from lakes to the ICW with no issues. He really likes the shallow draft of it. I helped him replace his fuel lines on it a few weekends ago. I was amazed that for a boat that is about 10 years old how well the construction of it was holding up. I was even more amazed at how well it cleans up with a scrub broom and some water/bleach solution. It is the kinda of boat that you just put fuel in and go, when you are done for the day hose it off. He has a Suzuki 70 on the back of it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Carolina Skiff 198 or Sea Pro SV2100

that's a hard call. If the cost was the same I think I'd go with the carolina skiff since you are in the flats, beaches and marshes. But $8K is a significant factor.

At first I was assuming your sea pro was the deep V but I looked at the pictures and it's a bay boat, so I think they are very close. The CS will be a bit roomier and more stable due to its shape. The sea pro is likely to be a little wet in the chop; CS's ride high and dry.

I think both hulls will be equally bumpy.

Both are maintenance-free as agallant described--a huge advantage.

If you get the sea pro at $8000 less you have that money in the bank to buy a 14' skiff as a tender. You can't have too many boats.

Before I looked I assumed the seaPro was the deep v; a friend has the sea pro deep V and keeps it at Debideau, but he also often uses a 16' jon. I have a 21' sea hunt just like the sea pro that I love for the lower Chesapeake bay but I use a 19' carolina skiff on the barrier islands and don't take the deep V up there. For one thing it's a whole lot easier to beach and get out over the bow of the skiff than the high bow of the sea pro. You can take the skiff anywhere the sea pro deep V would go, but the skiff will give you a whole lot more options.