Carburetor's

Smaj

Cadet
Hello again everyone, Does anyone possibly have a mercury manual for a 2002 mercury 90hp ELPTO 2 stroke outboard that they could share the timing specifications with me? any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The idle timing spec is not that important. That's why it's given as a range. It's to only get you in the ball park. The actual timing spec is one that makes the motor idle at the proper RPM. My 1988 Mercury manual states the 90 hp should have the idle timing adjusted to make it idle 650-700 RPM (in Forward gear).

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Dave is correct, but presents it in a confusing way. Idle pickup specification is what you want, not idle timing.

see if your engine is in this service manual. They have newer models with CDM as well as the older ADI ignition.

Smaj

Cadet
Chris, Dave, Got it. And Thank you for the manual lookup. I did look in the manual and on page 12 of the manual under timing it gives the same information. 2*ATDC - 6*BTDC. So once again I find myself asking the same question. At what degree should my timing be set at? When I ground the plugs and turn the ignition and aim the timing light what degree should I be looking to set the firing mark? 2 ,3 , 4 ...etc*.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Aim for 1/2 way thru the range. That is pretty much how it is done on other motor's, they just have a different range.

You may want to make sure the timing pointer is accurate as well.

For idle pickup timing, remember to set the throttle so the carbs are closed and ready to open.

I remove the prop, because you need to set the max spark advance with the engine in gear and the throttle wide open. I jumper the starter solenoid to defeat the neutral interlock.

Smaj

Cadet
I thank you so much for your help. I will let you know when all is said and done. thanks again!

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
You guys actually crank up your motors and run the at WOT to check the timing? I've never had to do that before! On my Yamaha's and I think on some OMC's there are marks on the timing plate that you line up with other marks and simply put the control in WOT position and set the timing plate position so the marks line up correctly. I can't imagine holding a timing light and adjusting timing on an outboard that's turing 5,000 RPM's. That scares me just thinking about it!

BWR1953

Admiral
You guys actually crank up your motors and run the at WOT to check the timing? I've never had to do that before! On my Yamaha's and I think on some OMC's there are marks on the timing plate that you line up with other marks and simply put the control in WOT position and set the timing plate position so the marks line up correctly. I can't imagine holding a timing light and adjusting timing on an outboard that's turing 5,000 RPM's. That scares me just thinking about it!
My official Mercury manual for my 1980s 50 and 70hp 2-stroke outboards sets timing using the starter only and the engine isn't started.

Yeah, WOT and running would definitely be scary.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Go back 50 yrs and the Engine was running at WOT for Max Timing, but it would be fitted with a Test Wheel, instead of a Prop. I guess hooking a Dyno up, would allow WOT running to, but since the Timing can be checked-set at Cranking Speed, no need to.
A lot of People on this site get very confused about there being no Idle Timing Spec for these Engines, and can't understand that the Idle Speed is set by moving the Timing. That setting can change by simply adding or removing Pitch with Prop Change. Load on the engine at Idle resulting in an Rpm change. Idle Speeds are set while in gear.

Smaj

Cadet
Gentleman, Sorry for the confusion but if you read the post, it stated after grounding the plug wires and then turn the ignition. Nothing about starting it up and running. Mr. Faztbullet The timing you mention is that for your boats or a suggestion for mine?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Is that a Mercury service manual? The Clymer and Seloc service manuals often have big mistake in their instructions. I am not an expert on your motor, but all of the other motors that I have seen with ADI ignition have a spec for idle pickup timing that is in the ATDC range. I have never seen a Merc that specified idle timing, nor one that had a range from ATDC to BTDC.
From a Mercury Service Manual;

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
That makes good sense. So you move the controller to full throttle and then turn the motor with the starter only to check timing. Cool.

Smaj

Cadet
Hello everyone, Well the carbs got put on and with all back together it started up and ran fine, (for about 10 Minutes) then died. I had no spark, and in testing I traced it back, found burnt wires from the stator. In testing the stator, I could not get a reading whatsoever using the Klein Ohm meter. In looking to get a new stator I see there are two. 1st Stator "manual" 2nd Stator "electric". Can someone tell me what this means? How do I tell if mine is manual or electric? I cannot find a part number on the one I have, Mine is red in color and Has 4 wires 2 yellow and 1 green and white and 1 white and green. as always any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, a site like Crowleymarine will give you a part number. You may need your serial number to get the right part number.

Sierra or other aftermarket sources should be able to sell you something to replace your current stator. Some of those stators were lousy, so Merc made replacements. I am not sure if your motor falls into that group.

Smaj

Cadet
Gee, a site like Crowleymarine will give you a part number. You may need your serial number to get the right part number.

Sierra or other aftermarket sources should be able to sell you something to replace your current stator. Some of those stators were lousy, so Merc made replacements. I am not sure if your motor falls into that group.
Thank you Sir. That is exactly who I was going to contact in the morning. Thank you the reply much appreciated.