carburetor isolation/troubleshooting ?

rowboater

Seaman Apprentice
We have a 1997 Yamaha C115TLRV that developed a problem over the weekend.Ran fine until it didn't.Couldn't get much over 2500 RPM after the problem started.It normally will run up around 5500 RPM.Had no alarms going off and the motor ran smooth.Tried a new Yamaha 10 micron filter and dumped the fuel and checked the factory fuel screen/bowl.No sign of water in either and new filter was no help.I was able to hit 4000 RPM by pulling out the manual check part way.Think I may have a clogged main nozzle or jet.Is there a way to isolate which carburetor is potentially the problem ? This motor has 2 twin barreled carbs.Figured I'd start with the lower carb unless someone has a better idea.As always thanks in advance for any help,advice or ideas.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: carburetor isolation/troubleshooting ?

You can spray fuel/oil mix into the different carb throats
But it would be best to clean all of them, and flush out the lines and pump just in case there is something in them that will hit the cleaned carbs

Never hurts to check compression, spark, and timing.
And have a look at fuel pumps to make sure they a good

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe drain each carb with drain plug in bottom/side of each one to try to determine if water or debris is in float chambers? Remove and inspect each spark plug for possible indication of fouling, water, carbon, rich mixture, etc. You could possibly have one fouled spark plug or one that is not firing. Good Luck!

rowboater

Seaman Apprentice

Thought I'd give an update as I always like reading what fixed others problems.

if you say the motor will pick up rpm when the choke is applied oviously means it is running lean. which could be MANY different problems, from dirt in the carb,intake gasket failure, to bad crank seales. you stated that it would hit 4000 rpm if the choke was applied which tells me you have the proper amount of fuel being delieverd to the carbs via the fuel pumps and filters. in a situation like this i always start at the easiest test, which will require two people, the motor must be put under a load in the water. run the motor with the cover removed, when it startes to act up slide your hand over one of the carbs slowly and note the motors reaction (did it run better or worse). then do the same on the second carb, and note the motors reaction again. this in a sense is acting like applying the choke one carb at a time, which if its a carburation issue it will tell you which carb needs attention. if you deside that a carb rebuild is needed i wouldnt waste time of just rebuilding one carb, do both at the same time. if that doesnt correct your problem farther investigation would be needed and the cost and time required will go up. good luck

Thanks for the tip,sliding your hand over one carb a@ a time, motoman. Would have never though to isolate the problem that way.Will definetly keep that in mind for any future troubleshooting.Didn't have a helper handy today so I pulled the lower carb and cleaned all the jets and passage ways.Just got back from a test run and it's back running like it should.Beats paying $125.00 an hour to have it done at a shop or the $110.00 a local shop wanted for a rebuild kit.

handirifle

Seaman Apprentice

I would invest in a quality filter. Obviously something slipped in there that didn't belong.

rowboater

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 10 micron Yamaha filter already.Sometimes sheet happens.