Carburetor bushing

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, I've got a 1967 Evinrude 18 horse doing a rebuild on the carburetor, my question is has anybody ever dealt with the bushing that the low speed needle screws into coming out, part #

OMC 0303947, screwing the low speed needle in noticed it wasn't getting any tighter the bushing was spinning inside of the carburetor body,was thinking of using some type of epoxy to keep it in there,has anyone experienced this issue​

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes , many times.----Make sure the needle moves easily in the bushing.-----Then the packing washers will keep it from spinning inside the carburetor.

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok ,it seems to not spin freely in the bushing, replaced the needle with a brand new one,cuz the old one was loose and vibrated completely out,that's why I considered using epoxy on the bushing

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How is the bushing held in place? Is it press fit or what? I've rebuilt quite a few outboard carburetors never ran into the issue before

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Repeat.---The bushing must spin freely on the needle!----It is the packing that holds it tight in the carburetor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not sure what is in your tool box.----I use very , very fine lapping compound in the bushing and run needle in and out.----Cleans up the thread and gets rid of burrs / imperfections.----Works all the time !!

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure what is in your tool box.----I use very , very fine lapping compound in the bushing and run needle in and out.----Cleans up the thread and gets rid of burrs / imperfections.----Works all the time !!
Never used lapping compound, might have to get a tube and try it

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Pre-assemble the packing nut & packings onto the needle and screw it into the bushing a few turns, all this outside the carburetor. Then poke the whole assembly into the carburetor and tighten the packing nut just enough to hold the bushing from spinning. Now turn the needle in till lightly seated and back it out 1-1/2 turns. Snug up on the packing nut a bit and run the motor and adjust the needle for best idle. Finally, tighten the packing nut as required to hold the needle from vibrating out of adjustment.

Been there and done that too many times to count.