carb screw up

guyinfl27

Cadet
I was just cleaning one of my carberetors on my 1996 115 johnson and screwed up pretty bad while taking off the frost plates. I was using a punch to cut through the frost plates and pop them off and accidentally went to far on one of them and cut a larger hole into the barrel right under the choke plate. There are already two small holes that go to the main barrel and I just widened it by 4 times. Is my carb shot? Do I need to buy a new one now? Is there anyway to fix the hole? I was just looking at carbs and the cheapest new one I found was $450.

Thanks in advance for any help

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: carb screw up

That is really bad news. Those holes are precisely the size they are to get the fuel/air mixture just right at idle. If you just needed to plug a new hole, you might have some luck with JB weld or marine-tex, wouldn't cost anything to try, but if you actually modified an existing hole...

what I'd think about doing, is using the on-line parts catalogues at shop.evinrude.com to compare part numbers across years/models, then watch ebay and craigslist and whatever other source you can find for somebody parting out a motor with compatible carbs.

In fact, there's a regular on my local fishing board who might have a used one in stock: http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/users/44990 Tell 'im jtexas sent ya.