Carb Roller Part # for Yamaha 25ESD

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I recently acquired a 1990 Yamaha 25ESD in need of a decent bit of TLC. Tinkered with it a little and one of the things I saw that it will need right off the bat is a new carb roller as it has one really bad flat spot as well as a couple more at other locations on the roller. I am not seeing the roller in the carb parts diagram nor the engine controls diagram. A few online retailers have pictures of a new bottom carb assembly and it appears the roller is part of that assembly.

Through some searching, I found other Yamaha owners had the same issue and were recommended part # 682-41291-00-00. Most of those posts were related to much larger engines though so I'm not 100% positive this is the correct part. My model is not listed in the compatible engines list I found, however, the compatible engines do span from 9.9hp models all the way up tp 250hp models. Would anyone be able to confirm this?

NTYwNTg3Mw-51e243e2.jpg

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe your Yamaha dealer/marina could offer you some advice on this roller…maybe take one off an old busted outboard motor?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
well that looks to me like they are talking about just 9.9 motors.
no wait a minute it does not.
hard to believe most 2 strokes would have the same part
how do you remove the roller and put the new one on?

Last edited:

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
well that looks to me like they are talking about just 9.9 motors.
no wait a minute it does not.
hard to believe most 2 strokes would have the same part
how do you remove the roller and put the new one on?
Yeah I would assume larger motors would need larger rollers but my experience is mostly limited to 40hp and below outboards.

To my knowledge, you just pry the old roller off and the new one can be pressed on. Never had to mess with a Yamaha roller though. The OMC rollers I've changed were all mounted on a screw with a smooth shank and then connected with a linkage.

robert graham

Admiral
If the plastic roller can’t be found maybe make one out of a appropriate length of brass tubing?…brass with a bit of grease on it should roll O.K….

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I'll call and ask my dealer if they have any of these instead of buying it online. That way I can bring my lower carb up there and compare before I buy. Closest dealers are about 40 min from me but I do pass near one on my commute to work....but I've been working remote since Covid so haven't passed by much. I'll probably go into the office next week and can swing by.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
If the plastic roller can’t be found maybe make one out of a appropriate length of brass tubing?…brass with a bit of grease on it should roll O.K….
Not a bad idea. I imagine a number of things could be made to work. Just need to match O.D. and I.D. so it fits on and then gives the same kinematics as original setup.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Small update. I found the roller labeled on another parts site in the carb section schematic. On there it is called "Collar and stopper set" with a current part number of 99999-03499-00 and a superceded part number 6L2-14578-00-00. It's a hefty $38 there and maybe a few bucks cheaper other places...still about $40 shipped though.

ODI2ODE5NQ-565b8142.jpg
ODI3MDE4Mg-e3990460.jpg

The 682-41291-00-00 roller I had originally found was listed as less than $10. Sizes seem pretty comparable per the images above and below. I still plan to check with my dealer in the hopes they can help but wanted to follow up with at least what appearsto be the correct part number per the carb diagram. Thanks for the help.
MTMyNTg5Mg-40e58738.jpg

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Bumping this thread because I found a cheaper solution.

After I posted this, I made do by swapping a good roller from another similar year motor onto this one. I still needed a few rollers though as I have 3 of these in my shop to fix up, all with worn rollers, and I just sold the one with the one good roller on it. I noticed my 1988 30hp 3cyl roller looked similar and that it could perhaps use replacing as well. Looking it up, it was an $8 part....so I ordered it to try on the 25hp and if it didnt work then I would just have a new one for the 30hp so it wouldnt be a waste. It arrived this weekend after an 8 week backorder delay and thankfully it fit the 25hp just fine. Looks like the exact same part, it's just all black as opposed to the original white one. Anyways the part number was 6J8-14578-00. Hopefully this helps some others save a few bucks. It certainly will help me in that regard.