Carb Rebuild

babysdaddy

Cadet
Re: Carb Rebuild

Remarkable job on getting this engine water ready. Thanks for the insight of what I have ahead of me on both of the threads that you started.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I thought the cork was in good shape too but I had allready ordered the new one prior to tearing the carb apart so I figured I'd go ahead and replace it. Now I wont ever have to worry about it. While were talking about the floats though, what do those get coated with? I kept it because it was in good shape. Never know, I may need it in another motor in the future.

I still dont understand why I cant run the motor reved up in the tank but you guys are more knowledgable than me so I wont run it in there anymore. It's close enough now that its ready for the lake anyhow. I do understand that the water can get hot so when I was running it earlier, I had the hose in the tank and the tank just overflowing so it always had fresh cold water going to it. The motor never got even remotely hot. I read that you should be able to hold your finger on the head for a 3 count. I could lay my hand anywhere on the motor for any duration of time so I wasnt worried about over heating and it was obvious by the water spraying out that the impellor always had plenty of water too it. Anyhow, thanks again for all the help. I'm glad to have this thing running good!!

The cork float is covered with shellac. Works fine in pure gas, but can dissolve in ethanol gas. I recoat mine with "fuel-proof dope" from the hobby store.
Over-revving in neutral, in a bucket or out of the water, can cause the motor to get into a state called thermal runaway, where it goes very quickly to max RPMs and can't be shut off normally, even if you pull the plug wires. The only way to shut it off is to cut off the fuel and hope it stops before the engine comes apart, stuff a rag down the carb throat to cut off the air, or throw a cat into the flywheel. :D

BassBlaster29

Seaman

So, I did a little research on this thermal runaway. My research says you'd have to get an engine pretty hot to have that happen. I guess the carbon in the engine gets hot enough to ignite the fuel thats why it would still continue to run after pulling the plug wires. I had just decarbed the engine so there shouldnt have been any carbon in there to get hot and I didnt run it long enough to get even remotely hot anyhow. So now I understand thats its not the best idea to run in a tank like that but I didnt harm my engine in any way. Again thanks for all the help. You guys made this a pretty simple project. Looking forward to my next one!!

kfa4303

Banned

Looks and sounds great. Nice low idle. Some folks have a tricky time getting the idle just right in a tank b/c exhaust fumes can linger around the motor and sucked in to the carb, which cuases the motor to suck in "dirty" air, which usually lowers the rpms briefly b/c the dirty air is less combustable than fresh/clean air. Of course, when you're underway on the water you're constantly moving forward, sucking in fresh air, while the ehaust trails behind, so it's usually not an issue. That being said, it doesn't look like you're getting too much smoke, so you should be ok. Glad you got her running. The next one will be a piece of cake.

BassBlaster29

Seaman

It was a little tricky in the beginning and that is why it ran so well with the cowl off and not on. Once I decarbed it and got it adjusted much closer to where it should be, I was getting a lot less smoke and it ran so much better. Many of these things I didnt know but I have learned alot over the last week. Next time, I know to get it running then take it down to the lake for the tuning portion.

kfa4303

Banned

you may still have to tweek the hi speed needle a bit once you can run her wide open on the water, but after that you can snug down the nuts on the carb needles and forget about them. Shouldn't have to mess with them again for quite some time. You're definitely gonna have one of the coolest lookin' and best running motors on the lake. Congrats!

BassBlaster29

Seaman

Hey thanks, I hope so. I dang sure think its cool looking. My boat isnt finished yet. Its a flat bottom jon. I had planned to do a flat camo pattern on it. Now because I have such a cool looking motor, I'm changing my paint theme so it dosnt make the motor look bad!!

I figured I'd have a little bit of fine tuning to do at the lake. No prob. Cant wait to see how well she runs on the water!!

kfa4303

Banned

yeah you gotta go a little cooler than camo on the boat with that sweet little motor :) all the guys on the water will be jealous when they see that gem cruising past them. I can't stand how ugly all the new motors are. I understand that people want to make them more efficient, but that doesn't mean thay have to be so boring to llok at. the may be v-max, e-tech or whatever, but they all look cheap plastic toys with goofy stickers on them. your little johnson looks fast just sitting still and looks as cool today as it did 54 years ago! Happy Fishing!