Carb re-build & new fuel pump

thakang67

Seaman
Hello to all first...
My boat is a 20' crest pontoon with a 1989 50hp Evinrude with the VRO disabled. Here's my problem. I just recently (last weekend) had my carbs re-built and had a new fuel pump installed and changed the prop from performance to a displacement. WOW what a difference! After getting the work done I took her out the next day and she performed great for about 25 minutes, when i idled down to pull into my local marina for bait she stalled and would not start back up.
After letting her sit for about 30 minutes, she would fire up then immediately stall, as if she wasn't getting fuel. I then fired her up again and kept her running by pushing in the key to choke it before she stalled but when I went to put her in gear she would stall.
Please any help would be appreciated. I am mechanically inclined. I just didn't have time to do it myself or would have.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions
Dewey

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carb re-build & new fuel pump

Not a pro on these things yet, but it does sound like you have a carb problem again. Not knowing when the last time you changed the fuel line or cleaned out the tank/filters and such. But since you ran the engine for a while and it worked and ran fine, it sounds like you also trapped some debris in the carb jets and it now is starving for fuel. Try squeezing the primer bulb and if that doesn't allow your engine to continue to run, I'd clean the carbs again and replace all fuel lines and filters AND clean the tank and pickup tube as well. If squeezing the primer bulb does keep it running, you need to check the fuel pump and filters and fuel bulb as well. But again I?m not a pro so JMHO!

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hello to all first...
My boat is a 20' crest pontoon with a 1989 50hp Evinrude with the VRO disabled. Here's my problem. I just recently (last weekend) had my carbs re-built and had a new fuel pump installed and changed the prop from performance to a displacement. WOW what a difference! After getting the work done I took her out the next day and she performed great for about 25 minutes, when i idled down to pull into my local marina for bait she stalled and would not start back up.
After letting her sit for about 30 minutes, she would fire up then immediately stall, as if she wasn't getting fuel. I then fired her up again and kept her running by pushing in the key to choke it before she stalled but when I went to put her in gear she would stall.
Please any help would be appreciated. I am mechanically inclined. I just didn't have time to do it myself or would have.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions
Dewey
If you have to push in choke to keep it running , it means poor fuel delivery. (1) check all fuel lines,bulb and connections for leaks or cracks. (2) If all is well check if fuel pump is tight and diaphragms are installed correctly and filters are clear. (3) If all is well, go to the carbs and check float levels. In other words check everything that was done to it. Also go to your manuel and check all carb settings. My gut feeling is that if it ran great for 25 min ,then something has come loose that was not tightened properly .

jasper60103

Commander

I would take it back to the shop. After all, you paid good money (just last weekend) to get her running, and she fell on her face. Good luck.