Carb. question 1984 V150 Blackmax

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, people!Is it possable to (jet the carbs)to run better at WOT than at idel? The reason I ask this is my motor idels real rough and smells real gasy in the water.It even leaves a oily black film on the prop,and smokes alot.Alot more than other boats I see on the lake. :eek: The prop on the motor is worked up to run at WOT.Found this out about a year ago when I took it to local prop shop to have vent holes drilled in it.The guy there told me it had been along time scence he had seen one like it.He said its some thing like a 28p worked up to a 32p.(high rake and high cup).All I am sure of is if I idel for long periods of time when I stab it its like its flooding but if I start it up and stab it, it takes off.Some may not belive this but I can out run a new 225 merc.with this 1984 V150. :D He will get me on the take off but he wont get far before I pass him.This I have done.The guy with the 225 could not belive it nor could I :eek: .I have found that I have either WH-12 carbs or WH-29 carbs.How do I find out for sure. Trying to get rebuild kit for the carbs.If anyone can give some insight.It would be of great help.Thanks, Joe

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Carb. question 1984 V150 Blackmax

HMMMMMMMMMMM, I think that Im getting my leg streched here just a bit.<br /><br />No 150 will out run any 225 period unless it has a larger power head on it and there has been a lot of porting and other mods done to it. It is intirely posable as per the way you say it runs. If its been modified to racing specs, you are not going to get it to Idle right no matter what you do. Also, I would like to see the 150 HP that could turn a 32P prop, or a 200 HP for that matter. :confused: <br /><br />Yep sure enough, one of my legs is a bit longer than before. :rolleyes:

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

It runs rough at idle....<br /><br />When was the last time you cleaned the carbs?<br />Are the throttle shutters in the carb throats fully closed at idle? If they aren't this will result in a rough idle.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just checked the calendar, today is not April 1 in any part of the world. <br /><br />I am with Lubedude based on the information provided. <br /><br />Can you provide more info? For example, what kind of boat are you running? What kind of boat was running the 225? What speed are you running at WOT?<br /> <br />How about a picture of your boat and engine? <br /><br />If it is a normal engine, I would bet that you will have some fuel leaking out of your carb when you push the primer bulb. A sticking float or dirt in the needle valve seat is one scenario that would create your symptoms.

LubeDude

Admiral

You can fool some of us some of the time, but not all of us all the time! :rolleyes:

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK,I am not trying to pull any legs.I just stated a fact.This motor looks like a stock V150 Blackmax,other than the way it runs and the worked up prop.I did find out from original owner that just befor he sold it the motor was rebuilt.Did not say that anything had been done to the motor other than rebuilt.The guy I bought it from (2nd owner) did fish alot of tournaments with it.This is why I think the carbs have bigger jets than stock.Found WH-27-1 stamped in top carb. this afternoon.My boat is 1983 17ft Winner, the other boat was a new 21ft Nitro.Someone try this with there prop,take it off set it on something flat(table)with the diffuser ring of the prop down.I bet your stock props diffuser ring touches befor your blades do. Mine the blades touch first leaving a 1/2in gap between the table and diffuser ring. This fellows is called (RAKE)and lots of it,30 degrees.If I lay a ruler across one of my blades I have a 1/4 in gap between the face of the blade and ruler.This is (CUP).All of this changes the pitch of a prop.which is why I had vent holes drilled in it to get some kind of a whole shot. I don't have a speedometer on my boat but with hand held GPS at 3/4 throttle and not fully trimed out 55mph easy.With 2 300 lb men in it,at 4700 to 4800 rpm.Does this sound stock to anyone.I can run at 6000 rpm.My prop is a (HOOTER) 14 in. 3 blades has nothing else stamped in it anywhere.All I wont is a smooth idle and a hard take off.This I dont have at this time.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

55-60 mph does not sound out of norm for a properly configured 17' bass boat with a good condition 150hp engine. <br /><br />Too many variables to determine why/how you run faster than a 21' Nitro. <br /><br />The idle symptoms you are describing are often carb issues. When were they last cleaned and or rebuilt? <br /><br />A great hole shot and top WOT speed are often mutually exclusive characteristics in a boat/engine/prop configuration. Generally, the prop that gives you the best top end speed will give you the worst hole shot and the prop that gives you the best hole shot will lower your top end speed. <br /><br />I would fix the fuel delivery problem first and then work to find a prop that gives you the overall performance that you want. <br /><br />Remember that boat design/configuration is all about tradeoffs. You can rarely improve one characteristic without degrading another.

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello,Everyone.The last time I took carbs apart to clean them was last year.For this same problem.This has been going on scence I bought it 2 years ago :mad: .When I took them apart they were spotless inside,found nothing.No gunk,dirt,water nothing but clean aluminum inside and out.I didnt replace any thing just took them apart and blew them out with compressed air.They dont leak gas or anything like that.But, I do not know if they ever have been rebuilt.Thats why I was trying to find out what the ser# were on them.Which I did find that they are WH-27's.I am willing to sacrifice some top end speed for a good holeshot :) .I am allmost sure this thing is runnig about 65 to 70 at WOT.The lake I fish on here has a speed limit of 45 :( ,the only time I get to open it up is when I take it to the James River to catfishing :D .I didn't have the GPS with me then to see how fast its going at WOT.When I go to the (iboats prop selector) it recommends a 27p, belive me this thing on it now is more than that. Thanks for all the input guys you all are great. Joe :cool:

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by B.M.W II:<br />I am willing to sacrifice some top end speed for a good holeshot :) .
OK, Now that Im reasonably sure your are legit with your question. :) <br /><br />You havnt given us any #s to go on as far as WOT RPM and we need them to help you. I would say that for hole shot you do need to reprop a bit. That huge prop you have is holding you back bigtime, but we need those #s.

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Lube,The plan is, me and my buddy are going to the lake in the morning.He has the GPS,I will run it at WOT and see what the numbers are and report back tomarrow night.If I dont get a speeding ticket or crap :eek: in my paints first.I should have some numbers to work with.I only have one more question some one told me that the jets in the carbs have numbers on them,(ie.065)is this true? Can I tell what size jets are in the carbs just by looking at the jets?Thanks again guys you are the greatest. Joe :cool:

DOCD9501

Seaman Apprentice

I would clean the carbs anyhow. Varnish and micro particals can clog one up and you will never see it. There is 4 small ports in the rear of the throat and they will varnish over. Just take a srand of wire and poke em out when your clean the carbs. The float will stick open easy also. Take off the bowls clean em and check their level. When hanging they should hang even thith the bottom of the bowl. If they are off just bend em up a little. I have had the same prob. I had a XR 4 that did the same thing. As for your prop I can tell ya I ran a tempest 28 at 5600 wot rpm at 71mph in boat gps on a 19 ft Quickfire Astro FDX.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well how fast did it go?

LubeDude

Admiral

As for your prop I can tell ya I ran a tempest 28 at 5600 wot rpm at 71mph in boat gps on a 19 ft Quickfire Astro FDX.

Someone has been doing some digging on this one. I would have commented on this one if I would have seen it earlier.

This above statement has to be bunk also. My last boat was only 17' long with an 87 Merc 150 that ran great. I couldn`t turn anything bigger than a 25P reguardless of the hight of the engine. I also could only slightly break over 60. It isn`t likely going to happen unless you have an extreamly light payload, that you are going to get over 70 MPH with a stock 150 on a 19' Bass boat. I`m having trouble right now getting over 70 MPH with a 200 on a 19' Bass boat.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am running about 58mph with a 150 merc(22P) on a 18ft bass boat.