Carb Leaking Fuel and Engine Bogging

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1984 Evinrude 115 is leaking fuel out of the top carb at idle and low speed acceleration. When I idle for an extended period of time the motor boggs down and stalls. At full and half throtle operation the motor runs well with no fuel leaking from the carbs. I'm assuming I will need to have the carbs rebuilt. How much can I expect to pay for a carb rebuild and am I on the right track?

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Carb Leaking Fuel and Engine Bogging

sounds like they need to be rebuilt.i am doing the same thing today.good luck

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got a quote from local marina. He wants $200 per carb. Sounds high to me. I would really like your opinions on this so I dont get ripped off. Thanks

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It shouldn't take anymore than two hours to rebuild both carbs. Than you've got the cost of the carb kits,plus shop supplies. Check out what the shop rate is and compare. carb kits are not that expensive.Hope the info helps.

Paul Moir

Admiral

My opinion, spend $50 on a service manual and around $50 on a couple carb kits. Spend a couple hours cleaning them up yourself and then spend the remaining $300 on beer. :) <br /><br />If you want to see what's involved, check this out:<br /> Carb rebuild, click here.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Paul - Those videos are great!

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Cool video Paul. I had to save that to my favorites.

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the OMC manual and I'm thinking of rebuilding the carbs myself. I just got another quote from a local marina. They claim rebuilding the carbs is a major job and will take 5 or 6 hours to do at $75 an hour labor rate plus parts. With some help from you guys and the manual I think I will attempt it myself.<br /><br />Paul - that video is a great help. Thank You

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take your time and watch that excellent video again if need be. We're here if you need us. All the best.<br /><br />Wow, with that last quote from the marina, I'm definately working in the wrong area.

A/M/G

Cadet

Carbs are a piece of cake. Worse case, take it to the shop for repair after you messed it up. I have found many times the kit is not required, simply be careful with the gaskets. Do not tear them, ues them again. Good luck.