Carb leak 9.5

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi again! My carb is leaking from two places (it's a 1965 evinrude sportwin) It leaks from a hole next to the slow speed adjustment....I figured its missing a shot plug there. Its also leaking from a very small hole at the bottom of the choke throat. it's a little hole under the linkage for the choke. When I squeeze the bulb, gas shoots out of both these holes. Two questions.....Are these just vents? Shouldn't my float prevent gas from flowing so freely? I couldn't get the motor to start.....it spat twice, and fluttered for 4-5 seconds and died.....I think it's flooding like crazy. I've tried the Joe reeves carb settings....but without getting to the bottom of these leaks I don't think it's going to run. It has a big fat spark on both cylinders. Ideas??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Carb leak 9.5

it sounds like it is time for a carb rebuild kit, Dealer part # 382048, that includes a new float. then Joes settings.

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did get a carb kit and new float, needle, seat, etc. It's all back together..... are these leaks just from the float being out of adjustment, or are they supposed to be plugged??

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The float should not allow more fuel than required to fill the float bowl; if it does, reset the float.

If you did not replace the float needle and seat as a set, do so.

If you did not connect the float valve needle to the float arm with the spring clip in the kit, you should do so.

The only lead shot in the carburetor is in the positions shown in the attached thumbnail.

The OEM carburetor kit does not include lead shot; if you remove it, you are on your own.

Attachments

• Float Valve Clip 2.JPG
    Float Valve Clip 2.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • 9.5_Lead shot.JPG
    9.5_Lead shot.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 0

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

There should not be any open holes to the outside of a carb.
Main venturi excluded :D

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll go pull the carb again and check the float. I'll take a picture of where it's leaking also. If the float needle isn't closing would it cause the motor to flood out badly?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

There are two open holes in 9.5 carburetor: one is located at the base of the choke bowl; the second is at the rear of the carburetor 1/4 inch below and left of the choke bowl.

The red pointer is in the front opening just below the bowl. It must stay open at all times.

Attachments

• 9_5%20Carb.JPG
    9_5%20Carb.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 0

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can see I've stuffed a golf tee in one of the holes......Does this one need a proper plug?? The other one at the bottom of the choke bowl??? They both leak like crazy when you prime the bulb. I'm trying to set the float again right now......back in a bit

Attachments

• 2009_04300030.JPG
    2009_04300030.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2009_04300032.JPG
    2009_04300032.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The hole where you have the golf tee needs a permanent plug.

The hole at the base of the choke bowl is always left open.

Attachments

• 2009_04300032.JPG
    2009_04300032.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 0

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Ezeke!! It just started raining, so I'm done trying to start it today. Any ideas why it seems to be flooding so badly? My old needle for the float had a rubber tip, the new one didn't......if this persists I may put the old one back on. With the carb updside down I can blow a little air through it....I thought it should seal tight. I replaced the needle and seat as a set. Thanks for your help

p.s. How do you add the text to photos? Paint?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

For some reason the new needles have a tip that is silver, but it is still made of rubber.

You will not be able to blow through the fuel inlet on the carb with the carb upside down if the float is working properly.

iwombat

Captain

You will not be able to blow through the fuel inlet on the carb with the carb upside down if the float is working properly.

. . . If the float bowl VALVE is working properly. This does not test if the float level is set properly, or if the float is actually capable of floating.

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It seems as though the float valve/needle is not seating properly.....as I can blow some air through the inlet with it upside down. I meticulously cleaned the carb..... and changed the needle and seat as a set...... is there something I'm missing. The float is brand new, and as far as I can tell it is set so that it'll seat the needle when the bowl fills. As near as I can tell the motor is completely flooding instead of starting. I've set the float to just above level with the carb upside down. If I hold the float up it seals.....I guess I should see if the float is 'floating' even though it is brand new.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

"Mandrake35Thanks Ezeke!! It just started raining, so I'm done trying to start it today. Any ideas why it seems to be flooding so badly? My old needle for the float had a rubber tip, the new one didn't......if this persists I may put the old one back on. With the carb updside down I can blow a little air through it....I thought it should seal tight. I replaced the needle and seat as a set. Thanks for your help"

I was responding to the underlined section of the previous entry.

If you can blow air through it, you can pump gasoline through it and flood the carburetor and engine.

Don't get completely sidetracked by the float itself, it's the arm of the float that moves the needle. Take the float off and see if the needle will stop the air with gentle pressure from your fingertip.

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Turns out the new needle and seat were no good. I put the old ones back in, but still used the new float.....and the carb doesn't leak anymore. Now I'll just give the neighbours a couple hours to wake up and then give it a try again. Thanks for all the input.

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IT LIVES!!! Ran really well in the barrel.....The lower cylinder was full of gas from yesterday.....drained that out, and it fired right up. Idle was spot on, so I guess Joe reeves has tweaked a carb or two in his day. Looks like I'll be boating in a couple days. I'm going to put new fuel lines on it today, and that should wrap it up!! Thanks everyone for all your help