Carb cleaner

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice
Years ago, when I was a wee young MC racer, we used to use a carb cleaner that was fantastic. The stuff was a syrupy brown liquid with a wonderful odor (at least I liked it). It came in a can with a parts basket in it. All you had to do was disassemble a carb, put the pieces in the basket, put the basket in the goo and leave it overnight. The next day all the carb parts would be so clean they looked new. Every bit of varnish and crud was gone yet everything was dimensionally perfect. I have been told that that product is off the market for health and environmental reasons.<br /><br />Is there anything nearly as good today? I am going to rebuild some OB carbs and would like to get them really clean and shiny. What products do you use to clean carbs nowadays?<br /><br />oneoldude

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Carb cleaner

oneoldude, from another oldude,<br /><br />That stuff was great !Last bucket I got from Saftey-Clean was so weak it was pathetic.I use spray carb cleaner,acetone and my fingernails.<br />At one time Safety-Clean had a motorized cleaning tank.it swished the contents back and forth all the time.Don't know if they still have it,and probably out of cost for home use.I'll watch your post to see what others have to say.<br /><br />DHP

qapd

Seaman Apprentice

The stuff you are refering to was called "Gunk". We can still get it around here. Works just as good as it use to IMHO.<br /><br />Qapd<br />Pasadnea, Tx<br />'97 Mako 191

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

The last gallon I bought was from Advance Auto. You certainly don't need to soak them over night tho. 20-30 minutes does a fantastic job. You don't want to leave on your hands too long either.

Walker

Captain

Chemtool has a gallon bucket with a parts basket and that stuff cleans carbs good.

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by qapd:<br /> The stuff you are refering to was called "Gunk". We can still get it around here. Works just as good as it use to IMHO.
We also used Gunk. Sprayed it on a greasy mess and hosed it off. The Gunk would make an emulsion with the water and wash of the grud in a white suspension. We can still get that around here. But that is not the carb cleaner I am talking about. The good stuff was expressly a carb and parts cleaner. It would peel off paint but Gunk would not.

mhelgeson

Cadet

I used something like that too before I joined the Army, after years of Helicopter Maintenance in the Army, the item known as Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) (which was the same as the stuff I used to buy in a can) was taken away from us. This stuff was AWESOME, it would clean anything to look like new in 20-30 minutes and if it wasn't metal, it would come out looking like playdo. Unfortunately / fortunately, the Army took it away from us because they found out it ran a close second with Asbestos when it came to causing cancer, guess I know what is in my future, more reason to get on the water as much as I can and fish! hahaha<br /><br />You can still buy MEK at Lowes in some area's, but PLEASE read the warnings and do everything it say's, if possible, take the precautions even further than the "minimums".<br /><br /><br />For more information, check: http://www.tpub.com/content/aviation/14022/css/14022_114.htm

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class

try omc\bombardier engine tuner<br />works great on the brass parts and doesn't harm aluminun or coated surfaces