Carb Cleaner recommendation??????

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All;<br />I would like to run some carb cleaner through my "new" 1962 Evinrude 28HP motor. Anyone want to suggest something that really works? Several guys on the SOHC4 motorcycle list swear by Yamaha Carb Cleaner but I can't get a hold of any as the only Yamaha dealer in the area doesn't stock it.

moshpitdj

Cadet
Re: Carb Cleaner recommendation??????

I've heard squirting a little "Mystery Oil" into the carb does wonders - you know, the oil that comes in the red and black tin can?? I don't know where to get it though.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Quicksilver Power Tuner is effectvie. {Mercury}

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Sony2001's sugestion is a good one.As is ValvTect Outboard decarb cleaner.<br />Carb cleaner is an entirely different thing,used to clean parts mainly. It will put a hurtin on carbon,but does not contain the lubrication necessary for your motor.<br />There are also fuel additives,but I don't like them (engine won't run right with additves.

page62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

B12 -- the stuff you add to your gas. It's great!<br /><br />But nothing works as well as tearing down the carb, cleaning and rebuilding it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

There are as many Carb Cleaners on the market as there is boats. I have found that the Chevron with TECHRON works the best as a carb cleaner additive. However... A good spray cleaner will also do a good job in removing the gunk. I would caution you that spraying a cleaner into a running engine could cause damage to your running engine. There is NO lubrication in the cleaner.<br /><br />I agree that nothing beats a true rebuild for the carbs but there is an old motorcycle trick I have also used. With the engine running at mid-range rpms close the choke flap. This will create a large surge in the vacuam in the carbs and pull the gunk from the tiny low idle circuits.<br /><br />While you are at it... consider cleaning the garbage from your fuel tank. Older tanks are notorious for garbage in them. Why clean the carbs and then run trash through them again? Without cleaning the whole system you might as well just through a roll of dimes into the water and watch them sink.<br /><br />Good luck.

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Bob;<br />Thanks for the advice (and everyone else too!). I have read in Consumer's Report that the Chevron stuff (Wal-Mart), while expensive, actually does work the best of all the ones they tested. I was not sure it was suitable for outboards, but with your advice I have picked up a container to try. As for the tank, I am installing an in-line metal automotive filter. I am really not sure that there is anything really wrong with the carb anyway, but I have to run it with the High Speed setting to almost completely lean to get it to run well. I am going to pull the jet to see what it looks like - it almost sounds like it is too large, not junked up with varnish!

wvmarine

Cadet

We have stocked and sold just about every marine gas treatment available. The last 12 years we have only stocked MDR(Marine Development Research) Fresh Start because it is safe and effective for marine applications. Please be careful what you put into your marine engine.