Carb bowl leaking

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
1989 85 hp force outboard. The bottom carb is leaking around the top of the bowl. Replaced gasket and it still leaks. The bowl seems to be in good shape I'm not sure what I can do to stop it from leaking. Put a new cork gasket on it. Any suggestions without replacing the bowl.

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
Are you sure that the needle valve is shutting off the fuel flow when the bowl is at the proper level?
I have uses a small bead of Hylomar Blue to seal the gasket. It does not "Cure" and get hard and is fuel proof. Don't use enough to have it squeeze out into the bowl.

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes I'm sure it only leaks when tilted if it stay upright it won't leak but when the engine is tilted up all the way as it would be it I'm pulling it on trailer on have it up in the water it leaks bad.b

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
I put a little of the Hylomar Blue on both sides of the cork gasket to help seal. Also make sure the bowl is not bent a little. Perhaps the center where the screw goes through is pushed in a little and maybe massaging that might help.

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
I noticed that it does seemed pushed in a little in the center. I will try pushing it back out and put back together tonight and maybe that will fix it

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
I doubled the cork gaskets on my carbs as I had similar issue back in the day and try not to over tighten that screw. Me; I’d stay away from putting any sealants there as with my luck -the adhesive likely would clog a tiny passage and lead to more problems-just me though

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah those thin gaskets are well..thin, and if you don’t position that bowl on them just right; paying close attention while snugging that screw…the bowl then may not get a good seal. I actually made my own gaskets for that particular application, some Polish engineering and so far so good

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Yes I'm sure it only leaks when tilted if it stay upright it won't leak but when the engine is tilted up all the way as it would be it I'm pulling it on trailer on have it up in the water it leaks bad.b
Gonna leak if it's tilted, NORMAL!!
The thing to do is when done boating, before you pull it out of the water or after it's on the trailer unhook the fuel line and run the motor out of gas.

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
Didn't get to work on it today worked late. Maybe tomorrow evening when I get off work to thanks for the help. Will let y'all know what I come up with

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
On/off fuel/shut off valve
He'll still leak the fuel that's in the bowls.
Don't know how the boat and motors setup, but leaving it tilted down would help. Some motors can be trailered with the motor in the down position???

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
It can't be trailered down but it also doesn't have to be all the way up either. Before it didn't leak any so I fell like I've got something off a little bit maybe this bowl is just warped a little but when I set it on a flat surface it seems to be fairly even so idk. I've got a sheet of gasket material that I use on cars and I am going to give that a try tonight and let y'all know how it works

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Can’t be just any gasket material; needs to be specific to withstand fuel/oil etc. I’m sure you know

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just to keep this post updated the gasket material did work no more leaks from the bowl now its from the carb itself started another thread