Car Maintenance Day . . . and then some

tpenfield

Staff member
I had the day off yesterday and decided to catch up on some car maintenance (actually repairs might be better said).

I have 3 cars

2009 Toyota Corolla S
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
2015 BMW 528i X-Drive

The Toyota used to be my kid's car but now we have it. I've been working on the exterior . . . a little bit of paint touch-up, fixing scratches, polishing, etc. BUT apparently a critter got into the ventilation system and the car has an awful smell. The Admiral and I drove the car to the summer place the other day and had to have the windows down the whole way :eek:

The car is not bad sitting, you really don't notice anything when you first get in the car, but once you get going the smell becomes over powering.

So, that was job #1: Toyota . . . I did not see anything, after looking a few times, where a critter (mouse, chipmunk :noidea: ) could have gotten in. I accessed the cabin air filter (removing the glove box) and found some evidence of an uninvited guest, but not too much. So I sprayed some odor eliminator (and mild bleach solution) into the vents/fan box, etc . . . everywhere I could reach . . . and replaced the air filter.

Along with that, I did a deep clean of the interior. The car looks almost showroom. :) Not sure I got the smell 100%, but it might be just me having a mind game.

That was about 4 hours of my day . . .

After lunch, Job #2: Ford Explorer . . . within the past couple of weeks the rear brakes (pads) seem to have gotten down to the metal. We don't drive it much, but when we do, it is quite noticeable. I got a premium set of pads/rotors from NAPA and started going about replacing the rear set, as the front's seem OK for now. This is my 3rd Explorer, but my first of the uni-body vintage. The brake calipers are a bit different than I remember with the older ones. Seems like I needed a tool of some sort to retract the caliper pistons . . . they need to 'screw' in rather than merely be compressed back in. Off to the auto parts store in search of 'the tool' . Well NAPA did not have the good set ($75 ish), they only had a little had tool that you attached to a socket wrench. :rolleyes:

The tool didn't really work (or fit) so I had to modify it and then use the tool along with a big C-clamp to get the piston to retract. Oh time was a wasting . . . :facepalm:

By 5:00 pm, I had 1 wheel done, but beer was a-calling. So, I'll be at it again this AM to finish the other rear wheel. The fronts will have to wait.

Looking back, I'm thinking . . . wow . . . I worked on the cars from 8:00am - 5:00pm and all I did was an interior cleaning and replaced 1 wheel of brake pads/rotor. I must be slowing down or something :rolleyes: Seems like I could get more done when I was younger . . . or maybe things with cars are more complicated now. :noidea: :)

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I keep up four cars, a pickup and three tractors.

My problem isn’t tools or knowledge, it’s age....lol
Takes me a little longer to get up, under and over than it used to

southkogs

Staff member
I feel like no matter how big or small the project, it will involve three trips to the parts store for something I didn't realize I would need, or know existed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have 2 of the purchased brake tools for the rears, and the only one that works is a socket with two pieces of hex key welded to it.

regarding the toyota, pull the A-pillar and B-pillar trim, then shop vac out the stuff. common for mice to get into the structure from underneath.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks guys, I did pull the trim off around the lower edge of the windshield this morning and found the remains of a mouse nest. Then used my iPhone camera to inspect other areas. Everything else looked OK.

Also got the Explorer done (rears). The learning curve kicked in and I was much more proficient. Definitely age is affecting the flexibility of the joints and doing al the contortions typical of car maintenance :rolleyes: . The fronts will have to be done another time.

Afterwards, the Admiral and I took the boat out for the season closing pump out. 25 mph winds - it was a bit nasty - but we got it done. :)

robert graham

Admiral
My 1997 mustang sits in the garage a lot except for occasional week-end trip....a mouse got in side the passenger compartment and in the trunk, chewed on stuff, left droppings.....so now keep mouse traps in my garage all the time with cheese bait....so far I'm catching the little buggers BEFORE they get in the cars....preventive trapping I guess you could call

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I find that while physically you slow down as you age, you get a little smarter/ experienced, so it all evens out. (although i'd trade experience for youth anyday!)

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If you want,, you can put the rear wheel bearing in my jeep. I've had the bearings for two months, just don't want to monkey with it, but I should before hunting season I suppose.

tpenfield

Staff member
If you want,, you can put the rear wheel bearing in my jeep. I've had the bearings for two months, just don't want to monkey with it, but I should before hunting season I suppose.

Actually, I still have a wheel bearing for my previous Explorer (2004) that I never put in. :D

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Ted, if you still smell mouse pooh and urine...... you may have to douse the A-pillars with spray 9

I have on some vehicles, (primarily barn finds, etc.) filled up the A-pillars, B pillars and C pillars with expanding foam (great stuff) to keep them out. that was after taking a pressure washer to clean out the structure. not sure I would want to take a pressure washer to a daily driver with full interior.

tpenfield

Staff member
Actually, I think all is good now that I found the nest. :thumb:

I got the boat hauled out today, so onto the next set of projects . . .

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Actually, I think all is good now that I found the nest. :thumb:

I got the boat hauled out today, so onto the next set of projects . . .

you just put it in a few weeks ago.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
And here I thought my taking longer time to do what used to be a snap was just me... I seem to have the knowledge (at least I keep telling myself that) but it seems to take a lot longer to do such things. What I think is really funny is my adult sons are now telling me how their bodies hurt the next day after working on their vehicles. And they each thought they would never get like that... The body will always win over your ideas with pain, stiffness and soreness... BUT, it is way better then the alternative! :D

tpenfield

Staff member
Boat went in June 11, 2020 . . . came out today Sept 21, 2020 . . . 3 months and 10 days. If I really stretch it, I can go Memorial day May 28th ish -> Columbus Day Oct 12th ish 4 months and 14 days +/-.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to get some home improvement contractors to take a look at my primary residence . . . (which we don't spend much time at during the summer :) ) Most of the contractors are so booked, they don't even want to come out and look. Going to re-do the deck, replace a 6 foot slider, replace the front door, fix some rotted trim board (w/ PVC) and then paint the house . . .

Since nobody wants to even look to bid on it, the Admiral and I are going to take this on ourselves . . . more body aches are on the way. :rolleyes:

I'll be taking some measurements this week and then it's off to the lumber yard to get pricing and delivery. Probably got to get most things done before the snow flies (Thanksgiving ish)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I hope you realize the lumber prices are way up too! So the price shock is going to be real! BUT, if you think about it this way, any contractor will charge you for those increased supply costs AND increased labor charges too. So anything you do yourselves will be the most cost effective however you look at it...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if your area is anything like it is down here, now only will you save money DIY'ing, however you will do a better job. half the contractors down here don't understand how to use a level or transit.

bigdee

Commander
Go the DIY route. I just replaced all SIX sliding glass patio doors in my house for < $2k. Contractor quote was >$5k.

southkogs

Staff member
I've never done a slider, but I have done the exterior front door before. I'm not great at it, but it got done.

My deck on the other hand was CRAZY. The cheapest quote I got to build it the way I wanted was 3X what it cost me to do it myself. It took me about a week working at home, and my brother came for a few days to help out.