Canvas pattern for Renken conv. top?

kponhlo

Cadet
I have a 1985 Renken bowider, 17'. It has a "canvas" convertible top and bow cover that appears to be factory - has snaps screwd into the hull. They were made by a company called Brutus in the Carolinas. I can't find any info on Brutus, and Renken is long gone. Does anyone know where to get replacement canvas (or patterns therefor) for these? Or does a canvas shop just take the boat and top and start from scratch? <br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br /><br />-Keith

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Canvas pattern for Renken conv. top?

Or does a canvas shop just take the boat and top and start from scratch? <br /><br /> [/QB]
They can do it that way, but it's usually noticeably cheaper if you let them cut up your old one and use it for a pattern.<br /><br />The job goes faster for them, and usually comes out a little better.<br /><br />Beware of them using cheap cloth though. The stuff that lasts the longest is pretty heavy and sort of looks like blue jean material on the back side of the vinyl. The last I bought was about $17 a running yard instead of 6-7 for the thin stuff, but it did come 6' wide instead of 54 inches like most cloth products do. <br /><br /><br />That material might add, $30-50 to the price tag, but its toll road change compared to having the whole thing re-done in 3-4 years instead of about 10.<br /><br />Another route is check around and you might be able to buy one already made that will fit. Lots of boats use almost a standard type cover that you can buy off the shelf, maybe move some hardware around on your hull, and one of them might fit.

BillP

Captain

Marine canvas shops generally don't cut up the old canvas and use it for a pattern. The main reason is for fit...old fabric shrinks/stretches depending on frame and how tight it was pulled or how straight it was put on. Vinyl is the worst. Sometimes it works and other times not. Pro canvas shops don't cut patterns from old canvas.

kponhlo

Cadet

Thanks. I've been keeping my eyes open for something that'll fit, but my windsheild is awfully angular compared to today's designs. Sounds like the best thing would be to take the boat and the top to my local canvas shop in the off season and let them have at it. I will keep the material durbaility in mind though...I'd like to do it right the first time.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by kponhlo:<br /> Sounds like the best thing would be to take the boat and the top to my local canvas shop in the off season and let them have at it. I will keep the material durbaility in mind though...I'd like to do it right the first time.
..<br /><br />Great. Having it done in the off-season usually cuts the price A BUNCH!!<br /><br />Some canvas folks are smarter than others.<br /><br />Myself, I've only done about 10 of them. I did 2 without a pattern, after about 5,000 trips in and out of the boat, and WAY!! to many times of cutting seams apart and re-doing them to make the curves come out right....<br /><br />I said to myself, "No more".<br /><br />Now, I take the old one, and (sometimes try) to put it on the boat. <br /><br />with a marks-a-lot, I write on the old top, "Add 1 inch here with a arrow, take off '*** of an inch here', etc.<br /><br />Then cut the old one apart, so I have all the weird angles, curves and such,,,,,<br /><br />Then in a fraction of the time, and with no more trips in and out of the boat..... if I didn't have something to start with..<br /><br />I move all the furniture out of the kitchen or living room, roll out the new material, lay the old original stuff on it, mark it, cut it,, and cut out the the pieces for the new top.<br /><br />It takes about an hour, to complete and move all the furniture back.<br /><br />By the time I've finished, having a pattern or at least something to work with saves me about a week in the couple of hours in the evenings I have to do this sort of thing.<br /><br /><br />This method has served me well in making covers for 17-19' (ba-zillion dollar) racing boats, sun covers, & clear windows on the canvas work for boats from 16' run-a-bouts, to 42' Chris Crafts.<br /><br />But, like I said, some--- in fact, probably most <br />canvas working folks are much smarter and faster them myself. So, what I've just told ya may be all BS. <br /><br /><br />All I can add, is to recomend you take all ya got to the upholstery shop-- maybe even a few of them, preferably in the Winter and make the best deal ya can. <br /><br />S/F,<br />Ed.

BillP

Captain

Ed,<br />If it works for you then do it but few folks in the business will advise using old canvas for patterns. Making patterns from old canvas (especially vinyl that has been laying around off the boat)will likely catch up to you in an ill fitting piece. Once you learn the "trade secrets" on patterns it is a one time measure which results in a perfect fit. Back in the mid/late 70s I owned a marine canvas shop (Indian River Canvas located at Whitely Marine, Cocoa, Fl). I still sew my own canvas but for enjoyment only.