can't remove lower unit from Yamaha 9.9 high thrust

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I get a little gap where the lower unit attaches to the leg, but it seems the drive shaft is stuck in the engine coupler. It's a 2011 engine that came on a new to me boat that I just bought in Sept last year. I suspect the lower unit has never been removed by the PO, so the splines have likely never been greased. I'm trying to replace the impellor/water pump kit (it stopped peeing). So far I've tried tapping plastic wedges in the little gap, which does nothing. I removed the engine from the boat and have it hanging upside down in the shop. I poured penetrating oil in through the gap and left it soak overnight. Hopefully some of the penetrating oil ran down the shaft and is getting at the splines and coupler. Any ideas on how to get this apart will be welcome. Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Shift rod is disconnected ?-----I have used a hydraulic puller and adapters to pull lower units off.

Mikeopsycho

Shift rod is disconnected ?-----I have used a hydraulic puller and adapters to pull lower units off.
Yes, shift rod's disconnected. What does your puller look like? Maybe I can make something up.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
how did you get it off?
Someone else having this problem would welcome the info somewhere down the road.
even pics would be good

Mikeopsycho

how did you get it off?
Someone else having this problem would welcome the info somewhere down the road.
even pics would be good
The next morning I set it on the shop floor, put the nuts back on the studs flush with the end of the studs, and tapped on them with a brass drift and hammer. The gap slowly opened up and the lower unit came loose. I think it was a combination of the penetrating oil and vibration from tapping on the studs and beating on the LU with a rubber mallet. As I told my wife, I beat it into submission. Cleaned everything up real good, installed the WP kit, and greased the driveshaft splines and all the bolts so I won't have this problem again. I'll be removing the lower units on all my engines annually from now on so I can inspect the impellors and grease everything up. I plan to replace impellors every two years.
I didn't get any pics, I still haven't replaced my broken camera and I don't have a smartphone. I know, I'm a dinosaur.