Can't get power and stalling in gear

wmbaron1882

Recruit
Hello all. I'm new here and I'm learning everything about this stuff so please bear with me.

I bought a used 1984 Marlin as a starter boat to get into this and the engine is an inboard/outboard merc 140 hp.

I ran the engine before I bought it. No leaks, runs smoothly. Had the flusher hooked up and ran it in gear forward and backward. Everything was great. The boat is in pretty nice shape. Needed a cleaning is all. It was sitting for at least a year.

So we took it to the water today. Got in the water, started it up. So far so good. The engine was idling at 2000. When I put it into gear it drops down to 1000 and we start going.

The problem starts here. When we try to go, the boat dies out as soon as we try to go past an idle speed. A couple times I was able to get it up to a little over 3000rpm but it seems like as soon as I try to open it up it does right out and stalls. After idling around the water for a while I punched it and if I went past the point where it dies it took off great, but only for a moment, then it died out again.

After going around like that for about a little, there was a couple times where it was going up and down in rpms and I want even changing the throttle.

When I push the throttle only button and rev it, it goes smooth as silk all the way to 5500+ and back. As soon as I go in gear it hates me and wants to die.

When I got it out of the water, I thought maybe it needs a good carb cleaning from sitting. The guy always put stabilizer in the gas and winterized it every year.

The last thing I noticed was a forehead smacking moment. I checked the prop and the area around and realized we had left the flusher on the water holes at the bottom of the outboard section. Is there a possibility that could have affected the ride in that way? I feel like an idiot but I really want to get into this more. My family is looking forward to it.

Can anyone help me with this? I greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you try a different tank. Did you open the vent screw on said tank. If so check for an anti-siphon valve. If there’s weather checked gas line it could cause that also. Just for starters. Oh and maybe a fuel filter?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... It's starvin' for fuel,.....

Could be anything from the tank, to the carb, as well as the tank or the carb,.....