Cant get new boat to plan out

Just bought a new (E16 JVX Center Console Caralina skiff) with a (SUZUKI DF50A) Outboard Motor. The first day I put it in the water I could not get it on a plane no matter what I did. So, I took it back to the dealership and found out that they took the prop off of a 60 hp Suzuki (FIRST PROP SIZE - 3x 11 3/8 x14 ) and then put it on my boat motor. After getting a new prop ( SECOND PROP SIZE - 11- ½ x 13 ) it now will go on a plane but takes so long that I feel it's not right as well. Don't know much about props any help please.

airshot

Rear Admiral
What does your teach read when running at wot ? What is the max rpm rating for your motor ? If this is a brand new motor, should you be running at wot just yet ? Increasing pitch drops rpm about 200 rpm per inch of pitch, just the opposite when reducing pitch. Your dealer should have gone out with you for a shake down cruise if a new boat. His job to have this all setup properly before you take it !!

What does your teach read when running at wot ? What is the max rpm rating for your motor ? If this is a brand new motor, should you be running at wot just yet ? Increasing pitch drops rpm about 200 rpm per inch of pitch, just the opposite when reducing pitch. Your dealer should have gone out with you for a shake down cruise if a new boat. His job to have this all setup properly before you take it !!
it's at 5000 rpm WOT then when it finely goes on a plane it's at 6000 rpm WOT Max rpm is 5800 - 6000 I am still in the brake in stage but wanted to make sure it would plane out. the dealer just gave me the boat and said call if I had any questions.

airshot

Rear Admiral
it's at 5000 rpm WOT then when it finely goes on a plane it's at 6000 rpm WOT Max rpm is 5800 - 6000 I am still in the brake in stage but wanted to make sure it would plane out. the dealer just gave me the boat and said call if I had any questions.
You need to make your dealer set it up correctly. You will probably need to wait until break in is complete. I would not recommend that dealer to anyone !

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
it's at 5000 rpm WOT then when it finely goes on a plane
Explain how you’re trying to get on play.

Planing is a function of boat speed, not rpm.
Are you mashing the throttle slowly adding throttle?
You mined to get the hull up and over the bow wake to plane.
it's at 6000 rpm WOT Max rpm is 5800 - 6000 I am still in the brake in stage but wanted to make sure it would plane out.
You are propped correctly if you can hit 6k

New to boating so it might be me and not the boat after hearing this. But to answer the question. I just full throttle it. So should I just slowly get it on a plane is what you are saying?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
New to boating so it might be me and not the boat after hearing this. But to answer the question. I just full throttle it. So should I just slowly get it on a plane is what you are saying?
You do not simply mash the throttle. you need to also use the trim button

first, since this is a new boat. follow the breakin process to the letter.

once the motor is broken in, for the hole shot, start with the motor all the way down, then mash the throttle and using your thumb, slowly raise the motor as the boat is coming out of the hole. as you get on plane, you should continue raising the motor until you just start to porpoise. then tap it down a bit.

briangcc

Commander
From the manufacturer...

So unless you have completed the break in process, and trust me it's annoying as all heck having to do it - btdt, stop going full tilt. You're asking for problems.

Once broken in, I trim the motor all the way in, go about 1/2 throttle, and as it comes out of the water trim the motor out. Get some hours with the boat and you will be able to tell by the sound the engine is making as to whether or not you're at optimal trim.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I rented a 16' Carolina Skiff, may have been a CC, with a 60 Merc. one summer in S. Louisiana. It didn't have instruments but it performed well enough. Hole shot (getting on plane) was ok but in making the long runs from the marina to the Gulf, I could have used some more ponies to get the speed up. I don't know what to expect with a 50 but I'd say its squeaking by.

Since you are hitting the max recommended RPM on plane, prop and engine seem to be doing their job. The problem may be your method of getting on plane.

For smaller engines like yours, the normal method on getting on plane is to tuck the engine in (up against the transom) for the initial "firewalling" the throttle. Once the bow (front of the boat) starts coming down then trim out and expect the speed to increase. Continue to trim out until either the engine maxes out in RPMs, the boat starts to Porpoise (bow going up and down), or the prop. "blows out"....if that's possible with your rig......Blow out is defined as RPM increasing while boat speed decreases. Blow out depends on a lot of things but I doubt it would be a problem on a skiff.

You do not simply mash the throttle. you need to also use the trim button

first, since this is a new boat. follow the breakin process to the letter.

once the motor is broken in, for the hole shot, start with the motor all the way down, then mash the throttle and using your thumb, slowly raise the motor as the boat is coming out of the hole. as you get on plane, you should continue raising the motor until you just start to porpoise. then tap it down a bit.
Ok I will do that. Thank you for the information.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Your dealer should have explained and demonstrated all this to you as part of buying a new boat....sorry, but your dealer is an idiot....

cyclops222

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The dealer is as dangerous as they come. The engine computer has RECORDED all the WOT time you ran it..............You are SCREWED on any warranty work to be free of charge.

Okay so after doing some more testing on my boat I can get it on a plane in less than 15 seconds by myself on the boat I weigh 240 lb. But once my dad gets on the boat with me he also weighs 240 lb the boat will never get past 4,500 RPM it just stays at that RPM-WOT and never planes out. So I'm so confused. I have even try to walk up to the front of the boat with my dad and he walked to the back with me. It just don't make sense. Maybe I need to add some trim tabs????

briangcc

Commander
A reputable dealer would offer to take you out in the boat to go over all the features. Especially after taking it back with the planing issues the first go round.

IF this were me, I'd be reaching out to Suzuki to see what their Customer Service dept has to say. I'd also be in contact with Carolina Skiff.

I'd also be taking the boat back to the selling dealer to have them fix it. I would not monkey with a boat under a factory warranty. You can end up voiding said warranty. And by all means...STOP RUNNING AT FULL THROTTLE until its broken in.

Last edited:
A reputable dealer would offer to take you out in the boat to go over all the features. Especially after taking it back with the planing issues the first go round.

IF this were me, I'd be reaching out to Suzuki to see what their Customer Service dept has to say. I'd also be in contact with Carolina Skiff.

I'd also be taking the boat back to the selling dealer to have them fix it. I would not monkey with a boat under a factory warranty. You can end up voiding said warranty. And by all means...STOP RUNNING AT FULL THROTTLE until its broken in.
I took it back to the dealer that same day when I found out all of what I just wrote about above and I forgot to mention that he did meet me out at the water to see for his self (sorry). He said this is the first time they had sold that size and model boat so it's new to them also. They was talking about looking into changing the prop again and also tossed around some ideas of moving the motor or adding trim tabs. As far as the break in. I am now at the 20 HR mark of the break in. Just need to have the break in oil change out.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Hope you never have an issue that requires a warranty claim as you might be screwed. Dealer should have water tested before turning the boat over to the customer. Been a boat owner for over 60 years, bought some new and used from various dealers. Every single one did an inwater test with me aboard and showed how all the features operated.

briangcc

Commander
Bursts of Full Throttle are required Parts of a Proper Break-in Procedure, though usually not until well into the 2nd Hour.

Hours 4-10 from the Suzuki page I linked to earlier. And only for up to 5 min after its warm.