Can you replace the floor without removing the cap?

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering if anyone has replaced the floor in their 18' Holiday without removing the entire deck cap? Since the floor is usually installed in three sections I would think that it could be done, it may not not be as convenient but doable. This may be easier said than done however; I can picture some foul language flying as Im trying to maneuver these large sections of floor in just the right angle to get them in the boat, if they even fit at all.

I am not looking to do a full restoration of the boat but I have an oportunity to score some materials to do the floor at a price I can't refuse. I hate carpet in a boat and the carpet I currently have has seen its better days, I would love to take this opportunity to get rid of it for good. Structurally the floor is still sound but is begining to show it first signs of deterioration. If I can't replace the floor now without removing the cap then I will wait a few more years and do the whole boat at once.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Can you replace the floor without removing the cap?

No need at all to remove the cap.

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good to hear!

If the material size allowed do you think it could go in in two larger sections instead of three?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

possibly, if you spilt the deck straight down the middle, and had a port & starboard. But..

Fine fitting would be a nightmare.
It may be just right in the stern area and way off amidships, I would think
Or I am really bad cutting ply..I am..lol

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see what your saying, since I'm trying to be proactive and my floor is still in decent shape I think I should have a pretty decent template as the old floor should come out with little destruction.

I may even be able to do some some testing by tieing two of the old pieces together with a couple 2x4's and seeing if I can get it in and out of the boat with the cap still on.