Can you reclear over metal flake ?

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a bass boat with the clear worn off on the top cap can you reclear to bring the shine back?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can you reclear over metal flake ?

Maybe.

It depends on how bad it is, if the flake has been damaged then it may come out looking blotchy and uneven.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can feel the flake with my hand and some came off when I pressure washed it.

If it is metal flake paint you can. You will have to prep correctly (clean, degrease, wet sand) and then re-apply clear. I don't know about metal flake in the gel coat but I would think it would use the same process. As stated in the other post it depends on how bad it is, you don't want to get into the flake or it will come out blotchy looking.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If its in the metal flake which it is whats a good way to prep to repaint? My wife doesn't like the color anyway, even though I told her the fish didn't mind it. I was planing on scraping the hull but I might keep it. I'm buying a new hull for a project for this summer and I"m considering keeping this one for next summer since I have to replace the transome to stay on the water this year.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Here's the problem. For it to bond well the surface needs to be prepped, which typically means sanding, when you sand into the flake it can change the look and that creates an even more blotchy surface. It can be done without sanding, but then the clear isn't bonded as well and may fail sooner.

You can get a rattle can of clear and do a small out of the way spot to see what it looks like before deciding what to do.

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You cannot sand metal flake. You will sand down the metal flakes themselfs and lose the gloss or reflection. Defeats the whole purpose of the flake.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What about a complete repaint? whats the prep? what type of paint and what about respaying flake?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Re-painting with a solid color is the easiest method, doing it with flake just makes it more difficult.

Prep is normal, follow the directions for the type of product you choose.

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When spraying metal flake you have to make sure you have the right spray gun depending on the size of the flake. If the gun is too small the flake will clog the gun and make a mess with the paint.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help I think I'm going to try clear than take it from there. Rebuilding carbs now then repairing transome then spay clear I'll let you know how it turns out

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello fish..

Its..well..complicated..you need the same "base coat" to blend correctly..

There is no quick fix m8..start rattle canning this or that..your gonna end up removing ( or somebody else has to ) the paint you put on..

Professionally .. you have to prep/prime basecoat clearcoat ..IF you want a metalic .. GEL metal flake is a real PITA.. not something a diy should attempt without a prof step by step m8..

There are some real good metal flakers out there ( I am not one of them ) that can blend bass boats sweet.. but.. $$ .

YD.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Rattle can clear can be removed with an acetone rag.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

IF it looks a lot better when wet, then you can probably do a lot with clearcoat. I wouldn't use anything softer than two part acrylic polyurethane if you want it to last or look different.

The absolute key to adhesion is in roughing it up with something like 320 (just needs a good scuffing, not a major sanding down), and most importantly degrease it until you can't stand it then do it some more. Use something like xylenes that doesn't dry so fast it can't remove the oils, etc...

Shot at least a couple of coats and you'll probably be amazed by the results. especially if you take the time to colorsand and then buff it out after it is fully hardened...

That' my experience.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info I won't get the boat back until next week so it gives me time to toss it around. keep the advice coming.