Can you believe this!!!! Gunmaker pays sniper victims

samagee

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can you believe this!!!! Gunmaker pays sniper victims

That is the dumbest thing I have seen yet. I couldn't even read it all. <br /><br />I think we need to sue those families for jeopordizing our security. If gun makers keep getting sued, our gun cost are going to go up. Some will not be able to afford guns once that happens. Therefore, less of the population will be able to help in this countries defense. Not to mention in the defense of their own communities.<br /><br />This is as dumb as people sueing tabacoo companies, and I don't like cigaretes.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

We have turned into a country of victims. Whatever happens, it's someone else's fault, and we deserve compensation. This sense of entitlement, and the pervasive opinion that people are not responsible for their own actions will be our downfall. <br /><br />The liberal views in this country refuse to hold persons responsible for their actions, because that would validate the need for punishment, instead of rehabilitation. A criminal should be punished if he willfully does something wrong. They are responsible for their actions. Everyone who is wronged is not entitled to be compensated monetarily. Justice, sometimes, is the only satisfaction that is available.<br /><br />If someone kills a person while driving drunk, Anheiser Busch did not do it. The drunk driver did. If someone shoots a person, Bushmaster Firearms did not do it. The idiot with the rifle in his hands is responsible. If you spill coffee in your lap, it is not McDonalds fault. It is your own. People want to defer all responsiblility for their own actions, defer all blame for criminal activity to socialogical or medical reasons, and still hold some party responsible so they can be compensated and recieve a windfall.

Drowned Rat

Captain

The article said that 238 guns had disappeared from the Bull's Eye gun shop with 50 of those having been traced to crimes. Kinda vague. Where did those 238 guns go. Were they stolen? Were they sold to people they shouldn't have been sold to? We may never know since this was settled out of court, but why would the gun shop fork over 2 million dollars?? There is some accountability there I'll bet. As far as the gun maker's responsibility, it's ridiculous. They should have fought it. There is no law that says they can't make rifles. They didn't sell it to a criminal. I guess they took the cheap way out, but it sets a bad precident.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I can see it now...<br /><br />WalMart and Ginsu knives sued for selling a butcher knife to someone that stabbed someone else. WalMart should have run a background check on this person to determine if he was crazed.<br /><br />New law enacted...All knifes had a three day waiting period and you have to pass a background check to purchase.<br /><br />You tell me, how is this any different from the story today.<br /><br />I want a window installed in my second story house. Sorry, you have to pass a background check, so we can make sure you dont use it to push someone out of it.<br /><br />Ken

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

So was this sniper using terrorist tactics? I couldn't help but note the name. I think he is muslim if my memory serves right.

Drowned Rat

Captain

kenimpzoom, Do you think convicted felons should be able to walk into a gun store and buy a firearm? What about someone who is criminally insane? I think it's maybe a little different. WAKE UP! Guns are dangerous in the wrong hands. They make people dangerous who otherwise might not be. Please quit comparing guns to windows, it makes absolutely no sense. If ginsu knives, windows, sticks and stones are so lethal, why do we have guns at all??? Why do we need them if there is an unlimited supply of deadly objects lying at your fingertips all the time?

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I think he made perfect sense.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Drowned Rat, that background check and 3 day waiting period really worked well in this case, didnt it. :rolleyes: <br /><br />In all honesty, I dont mind at all a background check or waiting period. It may slow down a criminal long enough so they may get caught.<br /><br />What I do mind is that a gunmaker paid a victim money just because their gun was used in the crime.<br /><br />Ken

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Drowned Rat:<br /> If ginsu knives, windows, sticks and stones are so lethal, why do we have guns at all???
I will bring a gun to a knife fight anyday and be pretty satisfied with the outcome ;)

Drowned Rat

Captain

Posted by kenimpzoom<br />
What I do mind is that a gunmaker paid a victim money just because their gun was used in the crime
I agree.

Drowned Rat

Captain

quote:<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Originally posted by Drowned Rat:<br />If ginsu knives, windows, sticks and stones are so lethal, why do we have guns at all??? <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posted by gaugeguy<br />I will bring a gun to a knife fight anyday and be pretty satisfied with the outcome
My point exactly! Thank you.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Drowned Rat:<br /> .....kenimpzoom, Do you think convicted felons should be able to walk into a gun store and buy a firearm?.....
Convicted felons are not allowed to buy guns. That is why even the NRA was OK with background checks being performed before the purchase of guns.<br /><br />
Originally posted by Drowned Rat:<br /> What about someone who is criminally insane?
How does a background check tell if someone is criminally insane. It only tells if they've been caught doing something criminal.<br /><br />
Originally posted by Drowned Rat:<br /> .... Guns are dangerous in the wrong hands. ....
Guns are not dangerous, people are dangerous. A gun is nothing except a tool. A hammer, a ball bat, a pick ax, a tire iron are all dangerous in the wrong hands, and though a window might not be comparable to a gun, these can be and are comparable. There is no way to tell the wrong hands unless they have already been convicted of doing something.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Capt. Kidd. There are laws against felons, mentally ill, etc... people from buying guns. That is the law. Whether or not you can actually catch them in a background check is another issue. BTW, a background check, checks more than just your criminal history. You would be AMAZED at the information obtained in a simple background check.<br /><br />What I said was that guns are dangerous in the wrong hands and they make people dangerous who otherwise might not be. You disagree?<br /><br />What if Eric and Dylan had gone into Columbine weilding Ginsu's instead of high powered rifles? Would the same carnage have ensued? There's a difference.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

I don't disagree, at all. <br /><br />Here is the hypothetical problem.... <br />A man's wife wrongs him. He finds out she is carrying on with the mail man, the paper boy, the UPS driver, and the meter reader. He decides to kill her. He has never been arrested. He has no history of mental illness. He has never been in any socially deviant or politically subversive group. He is not a registered member of any hate or racist group. He has never filed bankruptcy, had a car repossessed, a house foreclosed on, or been late with his taxes. He is an angry man, who has decided to kill his wife. <br /><br />Obviously, these are the wrong hands for a gun to be in.<br /><br />But, isn't a background check all we can do to find out? And isn't it his fault if he kills her?<br /><br />If we don't allow this apparantly upstanding man to purchase a firearm, who do we allow to?<br /><br />And how is Smith & Wesson, or Bushmaster Firearms responsible for what he does, and why should they pay?<br /><br />If he uses a Craftsman hammer should Sears Pay? If he uses a Louisville Slugger, should Louisville Slugger pay?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's cheaper to settle than to go to court and win.<br /><br />Dag-blasted frivolous litigation really bugs me, man! :mad: <br /><br />Gee Dubya is gonna fix that if he gets a strong enough majority in Congress in Nov.

gaugeguy

Captain

I dunno, the carnage at OJ's ex-wifes house was pretty brutal. If OJ had had a gun, maybe they wouldn't have suffered as much as they did.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Capt. Kidd. Yes, I agree with your arguement. But, what if this Bull's Eye Gun Shop knowingly sold weapons to people who legally should not have them and then tried to cover it up? <br /><br />In no way should Bushmaster be responsible for this. They were legally manufacturing and selling firearms. I think they should have fought it even if it cost them more $$ in the end.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I don't understand why we have not heard of any futher investigations into that reseller. I hope that the FBI would be pulling some licenses by now.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Drowned Rat:<br /> What I said was that guns are dangerous in the wrong hands and they make people dangerous who otherwise might not be. You disagree?<br /><br />What if Eric and Dylan had gone into Columbine weilding Ginsu's instead of high powered rifles? Would the same carnage have ensued? There's a difference.
I disagree. Guns do not change a persons personality. If they are mad or psycho, they will find a way to do harm. Ask OJ.<br /><br />If Eric and Dylan were armed with knives they still could have killed at least 2-4 people. A throat slashing takes only seconds (again, ask OJ). Would it make you feel better if only 4 people died that day? What is your "feel good" death amount limit?<br /><br />Ken