Can u use 80hp merc with two blown cylinders

Hey guys i serviced my motor today wich runs fine and tje guy said i have two blown cylinders and water in bottom my carbys, he said the compression test is good on top two can i run it till it blows then get a new motor bc noone wants to buy a dud motor altho i had an idea this guy was gunna rip me off im 23 and know limited info but i deff no ive never seen water in the carbys till he showed me is it likly his pumped that in to get more cash??? Thanks

Re: Can u use 80hp merc with two blown cylinders

borrow or buy a compression tester (cheap is fine) and redo the test yourself then list the numbers so we have a idea of how bad the lower 2 are. Also what part of the carb has water in it that the guy showed you.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

The mechanic should have given you a written invoice with the compression numbers and note about the carb for the work he did. If all he did was wave his hands and talk with nothing in writing, find another mechanic.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Good advice above. You can rent a compression gauge from most any parts house and check the compression yourself. After that, find a different mechanic. Post back your results.

Thanks guys for your help I will do the compression test hopefully this weekend, the water was coming out of the bottom carbi overflow not much but I've never seen it before. The guy said the writtern test was not worth getting because it was all bad news, and was insisting to sell it while i can and buy off him, I only bought it about 6 months ago for 1250 and the guy was adamant the motor was in great shape wouldn't drop the price at all. I'll do the test and let yous know thanks again. Paul

Hey guys I just finished doing The compression test and the readings are top spark hole 155 psi #2 150 #3 140 #4 80 I'm not sure what that mean there no water coming out the over flow but shes not under load, what's it worth even for parts?or can I still use it for a few more hours ? It still starts and runs fine altho there is a slight raise of the crank when it's in drive the guy said it's on the way out sell it now. any help appreciated thanks Paul .

Last edited:

JB

Get some Seafoam or other decarboning product and give her a good decarb, Paul. #4 may just be carbonned up or stuck rings.

Too many people are too quick to declare an outboard dead when a good dose of routine maintenance is all they need. Some of those people are trying to encourage you to buy from them. That is not the right guy to believe.

BonairII

Commander

If a decarb doesn't work. Pull the head and see if there's any visible damage to cyls. If none visible, change the head gasket. Could be as simple as that.

Thanks for your help, if you have the time and understanding is it in usable with those readings, it seems to start and run underload if not what's it worth I paid 1250 used it 3 times I no I'm gunna loose alot but live and learn even for parts I don't wanna keep pouring money in I paid $ 165 for the guy to tell me she's not worth squat thanks paul

JB

If it is running fine, as you say, then it is usable. A decarb treatment will surely improve it. Don't let some doom and gloom diagnosis panic you.

Thanks mate your advice it is very much appreciated. I'm doing a decarb and head gasket tomorrow and sell it ( not dodgy I will mention every thing I know) and in 2 months will buy a brand new 40 ****ty brand maxima wich has 3year warranty for $3200 au thanks to everyone you made me fell very welcome cheers paul

Imdebandit

Recruit

1979 Mariner 80 hp with a bad piston, I found the replacement parts are not that expensive so I would think
you could do a quick teardown and rebuild to save on you investment, There is a ton of info in the forums
on this subject so if you do find you need to get to this point. Its not that difficult to do. I hope everyone is right
and you just need a good cleaning and dont end up with a bad piston.#3.jpg

BonairII

Commander

You're going from an 80hp to a 40hp?

What boat do you have? If you underpower it.....you'll hate it.

Hey mate the only reason im gunna do the work is not to use it but to sell it in a good condition ill check the pistons while replacing the head gasket. got excited and planed a trip out this queens birthday long w/e wich is public holiday so i was gunna use it one more time lol but that dont seem realistic. i have a 15 ft halfcabin 1980 stacer its my first boat came with a blueband 50 that i should have repaired but was silly and wanted sonething fast (big mistake) so with all my problems im gunna get a put put to get me in and out no worries paul.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

g'day mate, l'll bet once you do the head gasket it'll be ok,
what suburb was this "repair joint" in?
l'd like to avoid it,

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Id do as suggested tear it down learn it then youll know the motor and use it ....

Hey mate I'm in the process of doing the head gasket and am hoping for good results so I can sell it running well its too big for the hull and the guys in dandenong thanks Paul

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Paul, A lot of those merc inline motors do not have a removeable head. If you give us the serial number, we can tell what you have.

Are you sure you were getting water out of the carb? Can you post a picture of it, showing where the water came out of. Water out of the carb means bad crank seals and reed valves. Not too common.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If a decarb doesn't work. Pull the head and see if there's any visible damage to cyls. If none visible, change the head gasket. Could be as simple as that.

No head gasket on that motor. DO NOT remove the cylinder "head", it is just a water jacket cover...