can trolling motor be wired to starting battery?

gregs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is my first big boat. Its a fixer upper and did not have a battery when I got it. I've used my truck battery the whole time I've been working on it. Now its time for one of its own. First of all can I purchase just a regular auto battey? Or do I need a marine battery ? Its got a 2.3 ford motor. Therefore its got an alternator. I looked around and I've seen marine dual purpose. So can I buy only this battery and hook up starter wires and trolling motor wires to the same battery and let the alternator do the recharging.

Realgun

Commander
Re: can trolling motor be wired to starting battery?

You would be best served with a marine type battery. It was designed fot the vibration shaking you get on a boat and for the specific task intended.<br />You would actually want two batteries. <br />1. A dedicated starting battery. <br />2. A deep cycle for trolling.<br />The reasoning is you use the trolling motor to draw a steady stream as a deep cycle supplies. Then you go to start but the battery canot supply the big impulse you need to start the motor.<br />You could get a battery switch and then you will be able to switch between the two batteries.<br />Hope that helps.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can but it will probally leave you stranded. when you are running the T/M you are not running the big engine. You might run the battery down to much to start the big one. its better to get 2 batteries and have one dedicated to the T/M and other accesories.and 1 for starting

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A trolling motor will draw down the starting battery in a hurry and a standard battery does not like that and will quickly fail. You need a separate deep cycle battery for your troller. A deep cycle battery will also not recharge on a short run back to the dock or on a blast up the lake so you really should recharge that battery with an on-board or portable that you can plug in. Let the alternator take care of the starting battery. Using one battery for starting, your troller, and other electronics will leave you stranded at one time or another.