Can someone smart take a look at this ad? I'm tempted to make the road trip

series60

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can someone smart take a look at this ad? I'm tempted to make the road trip

Have heard Mercruiser is the more affordable to repair and maintain but FW seem to commonly feature Volvo engines?

FYI: It isn't a Volvo engine, it is a sbc (Small block Chevy) painted red in a lot of cases but still a Chevy. Engine is very dependable and has been around for a long time. Outdrives very dependable too but a bit more pricey to repair than a Mercruiser outdrive.

IMHO: Please understand with boats: Beauty is skin deep. That which can not be seen can empty the bank account! ☺

jkust

Rear Admiral

Don't think I ever stated what I was indicating was complete in any way, shape or form hence why I used the "at least 3 common variations" and even indicated a difference between Merc and Volvo.

You think a newbie boater has the knowledge to look at a picture and know what hp it has or the induction system?
Maybe in your part of the woods, but everyone that has come to look at my Maxum had no clue of the differences in hp ratings of a "4.3 v6"; so I educated them.
So using these real life experiences, I offered to the OP to not just think about cubic inches alone.

Using this information, and that the OP indicates "at least a 4.3" (which maybe means a v8 which also has various hp ratings), OP might have a little more info while searching.

Mark

Mark, I won't comment on the logic of a person showing up to purchase what is likely not a cheap Maxum without the prerequisite knowledge as our OP is gathering now. The rest of your post I'm going to chalk up to regional differences in view points.

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Note that he has learned that the style of boat is not very practical. It's not unusual for people to start with that type of boat and replace it with a better style. So a lot depends on your use; personally I wouldn't get that type boat. But you may have already gone through that process.

Travel? Ohio to New Jersey? I'd travel to buy one but not to look at it. Get someone on the ground in NJ to do your tire kicking. If you are not familiar with that type of boat, they are a dime a dozen where you are so you can compare that aspect (size, function, storage requirements, etc.) with samples in your home20.

Thanks! That's what we have now and we love everything about it except age/capacity (our standards are low ;) 17-20' bow riders are the majority of what we see on our two commonly boated inland lakes here in NE Ohio. We trailer in and out and camp on site so based on our experience and that of our friends who also boat this fits our "style" of boating perfectly.

Right now due to that demand they are dearer than hen's teeth but we can wait. We prefer to do our research and shop around so that when the two most frugal people on earth do part with money we can feel good about having done so :) Buyer's Remorse is an awful feeling.

I appreciate your input and experience here though. It's definitely something to think about. We have already pushed up to a bigger boat and motor based on input herein. (I might want to quit while I'm ahead :D )