Can some one help?

Critter52

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 18, 2006
Messages
1
I bought a 1984 Bayliner trophy bass boat with a 85hp force engine on it. My first time out with it, it ran great for the first 2-3 hours. Then it started slowly losing power and evetually sputtered and died. The engine would not start right back up. About a half hour later, with the aid of starter fluid the engine started and ran for about 30 minutes then did the same thing slowly lost power and died as I coasted into the dock. I took it to a repair shop and they looked it over and said that they ran it in a test tank but could find no problems with it. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause off all this? I am ignorant when it comes to marine repair and would greatly appreciate any help given. Thanks!
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: Can some one help?

Hello Critter and welcome to Iboats. My guess would be is your motor is overheating. When this happens the pistons can not move and causes the motor to shut down. I believe the term is thermal expansion. After a period of time the metals cool down and it will run again till it overheats again. I would get a clymer manual and a new impeller and start there. Would not hurt to get the compression tested as well as force motors dont overheat alot of times before they burn out.
 
Top