Can not connect to Volvopentastore.com

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Got an odd one, I use volvopentastore.com to look up Volvo parts all the time. About 3 weeks ago I started getting an error message that says " [h=1]We'll be back soon[/h] The Volvo Penta Online Store is only accessible to visitors located in the United States**. Please contact your local dealer for information concerning Genuine Volvo Penta parts

For whatever reason the website thinks I am not in the US. I live in SW Florida, and I have Comcast internet. I am not on a VPN or anything like that. When I google my IP address it lists the correct city and state. It is not a computer issue because if I change networks, and tether my computer to my T Mobile cell phone it actually loads just fine. The problem has something to do with Iboats servers and Comcast, there is some kind of disconnect there. I did call the 800 number but the operators had no idea what I was talking about.

It's kind of a pain in the but to have to use *cough* marinepartseurope" *cough* to look up Volvo parts.

_Jason

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I just tried by going through the the store links ^^^^ up there. It took me to http://www.volvopentastore.com/ Are you using a bookmark or favorite? BTW - your IP shows here in the forum as FL based Comcast, too.

I'll ask toneeees to look at it. In the mean time, stay away from the other place. :smile: Sorry for the glitch, Jason.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
I have both a bookmark and I just type the address in. I know it's not a cookie issue or even a laptop issue because all computers in the house get the same message when trying to connect to volvopentastore.com. It's just one of those odd things. When I connect through my T Mobile LTE broadband connection it works fine. (and when I do that my IP shows as being in Denver CO) . Iboats.com and the forums seem to work just fine. It's just volvopentastore.com that isn't working as it should. So it has to be some kind of issue wherever that URL is hosted out of and Comcast.

Thanks again!

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I used volvopentastore.com, worked fine for me. But then again, I use RoadRunner, not Comcast ... ;)

toneeees

Administrator
I have both a bookmark and I just type the address in. I know it's not a cookie issue or even a laptop issue because all computers in the house get the same message when trying to connect to volvopentastore.com. It's just one of those odd things. When I connect through my T Mobile LTE broadband connection it works fine. (and when I do that my IP shows as being in Denver CO) . Iboats.com and the forums seem to work just fine. It's just volvopentastore.com that isn't working as it should. So it has to be some kind of issue wherever that URL is hosted out of and Comcast.

Thanks again!

Are you still having an issue accessing the website?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Hi Toneees, yes I am. I still get the same error message when using Comcast as the ISP, no problems using T Mobile as the ISP.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
I just tried Proxysite.com when accessing through that website it does seem to work.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I can access it and I am currently in Largo FL. have you cleared your cookies?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
No Title

Here is what I see through both the proxy website and then trying to access the site directly.

Attachments

• photo222517.PNG
    photo222517.PNG
    188.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo222518.PNG
    photo222518.PNG
    134.3 KB · Views: 0

toneeees

Administrator
Seems we are blocking your IP for some reason. I'll pass this on to our server guys and see if they can get it resolved.

toneeees

Administrator
Unfortunately your IP Prefix is on our block list, they IT department said the only way to access the website is via a proxy server or to get a new IP.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Can you explain what you mean by my ip number prefix? I have Comcast so I have to imagine if I am blocked then a good portion of Comcast customers would be blocked as well, would we not?

The thing is i'm not actually blocked from the website, it just thinks I'm not in the US for some reason.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
@toneees Hi there. I just spent an hour on the phone with Comcast. They tell me my IP address is assigned to my modem, and since I own my own modem they can not change it. And the only way to change it would be to get a new modem. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I would like to try and fix this. Is it possible you can tell what numbers on my IP are blacklisted, and if possible what reason they are blacklisted for? (You can do this via PM if there is a security issue). It just seems odd, it worked fine for years and then 3 weeks ago it thinks I'm from another country. Thanks again. Jason

toneeees

Administrator
I'm not sure the exact numbers that are blocked. According to the tech guys this happens often and it's safer for us to block the IP group than allow potential orders from people not in the US. Volvo Penta does not allow volvopentastore.com to sell outside of the US. You can call in 1-800-916-1123 and a customer service rep can help you see if they have an item you're looking for.

You can also try unplugging your modem for about 30 seconds, this might change the IP address just enough to get in.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
@toneees Rebooting doesn't change it....... The problem I have is I'm an independent mechanic and I use the website to look up parts all the time. I suppose I could just call, get part numbers and prices, and then order them from my local dealer should I sell the job. But this is a little crazy that I can't access the website.

Go to this webpage, this is a list of Comcasts dynamic IP addresses. http://postmaster.comcast.net/dynamic-IP-ranges.html

If you read the list 73 is a common Comcast prefix. I'm not going to be the only one in the US with a Comcast 73 prefix. If you ask your IT guys, is 73 a USA Prefix or does it come up someplace overseas?

toneeees

Administrator
@toneees Rebooting doesn't change it....... The problem I have is I'm an independent mechanic and I use the website to look up parts all the time. I suppose I could just call, get part numbers and prices, and then order them from my local dealer should I sell the job. But this is a little crazy that I can't access the website.

Go to this webpage, this is a list of Comcasts dynamic IP addresses. http://postmaster.comcast.net/dynamic-IP-ranges.html

If you read the list 73 is a common Comcast prefix. I'm not going to be the only one in the US with a Comcast 73 prefix. If you ask your IT guys, is 73 a USA Prefix or does it come up someplace overseas?

I can see if there is a way to add your IP to an allow list. There are many people that have the same prefix, and apparently we are blocking them as well.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
toneeees If you could do that it would be great (I'm still getting the same error message as I type this.

I gave Volvo a call yesterday and they are supposed to get this straightened out. We spoke for a bit and agreed that it doesn't make sense the way things are set up now as it would block potentially thousands of Comcast customers who are in the US from accessing the Volvo store. In speaking with Comcast as well they claim there is no way to change my IP because I own my own modem, and do not use theirs. And they claimed that even if I bought a new modem, there is not guarantee I would get an IP that is compatible with the Volvo website. But for now if you could add my IP as an exception that would be great. Let me know when you actually do it so I can check it and see if it works or not.

Thanks,
Jason

toneeees

Administrator
Please PM me a screenshot of your IP address. Visit this page to get your IP https://www.whatismyip.com/ I just want to confirm the IP address I see, is the correct one.

Unfortunately we do not have any "allow" list, and many of viewers receive the same error. Our contract does not allow us to service these IP groups because of their location. The only solutions I can think of are; access the website on your mobile device, use a proxy website to place the order, or contact our sales team to place the order.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
For what it is worth - I am having the same exact problem. I too live in SW Florida and have the same screen come up when I go to the Volvopentastore site. I too have Comcast. Is there a fix on the horizon for this?