can my boat get to Catalina?

kingduh

Recruit
Hello, I just bought a used boat and I am looking to take my family on a trip to Catalina from Huntington Beach Harbor . I am concerned about the safety aspect of making this trip and am seeking some advice whether the type of boat I have would be suitable for the journey. The boat is a 20 foot Bayliner Capri with enclosed cuddy cabin. It has a 3.0L, 4 cylinder inboard/outboard Mercruiser engine, 30 gallon tank. Model year is 1991. Top speed around 35mph. The hull integrity, electrical and engine are all in good working condition. I would of course only take it out given calm weather and ocean conditions. It would be a morning trip out, stay the night in Avalon and then back the next morning to take advantage of the calm morning conditions. I would take with me all necessary safety items (ie: life vests, fire extinguisher, flares, CB radio, first aid, etc). Would my boat be safe for this trip? Attached is a picture of the boat if needed.

Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• bayliner1.jpg
    bayliner1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0

robert graham

Admiral
Re: can my boat get to Catalina?

Double check your weather, boat, equipment,etc., do a detailed float plan and share it with someone back on shore, stay in touch with them regarding your departure, progress, arrival, same on return trip, with good luck it should be a nice trip. I believe it's about 30 miles over there? Good luck and play safe!

waynehol

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: can my boat get to Catalina?

Boat should be ok but more important question to ask is "is the captain" capable of the trip? Are you comfortable with the boat? Do you have enough time in it to know how it handles in different conditions? Do you have an emergency plan? Are you a member of Boat US or some other towing service? Dont forget a good anchor and enough rode in case you become disabled in the water. You dont want to drift out to sea. If it is really deep, consider a sea anchor if nothing else.

I have found that trip safety questions usually are more about the operator than the vessel. If that boat is sound and in good operation, it should make the trip ok with the right captain!

Have fun, be safe!