Can I use this boat in fresh water

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Can I use this boat in fresh water

Bayliners and Sea Rays are both produced by Brunswick. The small Sea Rays are truly noo better than the Bayliners. The Sea Rays are just as cheaply built.

good to know; reputations change more slowly than facts! But at one time, were they a better grade?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I would say that what has actuallly happened with Sea Ray and Bayliner, is that Sea Ray has stayed pretty much the same and Bayliner has gotten a lot better. Not to say the small boats aren't still cheaply constructed, they are just much better than they once were. It is just amazing that even used the Sea Ray is priced close to 50% higher than the same sized/powered Bayliner. I'm all for a strong reputation but when you get right down to what matters in a boat there isn't a difference.

tpenfield

Staff member

a six year old boat of decent quality won't show ill effects from salt water, especially if it was trailered or on a lift BUT I can't speak for an I/O motor in that regard (and neither can a lake boater; you need advice from a salty who has one.)

Sounds like there are more important things to consider that you need to learn about.

All of the boats in my market are salt water boats; it's simply not an issue. Just like any boat from Arizona would have been in the sun.

I think Sea Rays have a good reputation for quality but they aren't boats I know or hear about personally. Six years old is a good age to buy a used boat of mid to top quality, barring any extreme circumstances or extreme neglect.

i guess that I am and ' old salty' cuz that is my life experience -boating in salt water. So, here are some thoughts that may be of consideration for getting a boat out of coastal waters, Florida or elsewhere. . .

generally, an I/O engine will go about 20 years in the salt . . . Some a bit less some a bit more. . . Until they start to rust through. I had this happen on my last boat, it was 21 years old, running in salt it's whole life.

outboard engines will last longer than I/O engines. As for the outdrive, etc. that is all a matter of anodes and maintenance. A buddy of mine has the same outdrive as I do on my 'new' boat from fresh water, same year, etc. His outdrive used in salt water for 16 years looks great in comparison to my outdrives used in fresh water for 16 years. The difference? His we're well maintained, mine were not so much.

Will-Sandy

Seaman Apprentice

If you are set on buying a boat in Florida, I think it would be a good idea to go down and look at several before you buy.

If you are just after a good deal, consider that you get what you pay for.

Just taking a look at the Syracuse, NY craigslist I see these as comparable boats:

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/bod/3282041426.html

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/3336666148.html

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/bod/3336483575.html

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/3301997842.html

Bayliners and Sea Rays are both produced by Brunswick. The small Sea Rays are truly noo better than the Bayliners. The Sea Rays are just as cheaply built.

I checked those listings out they are either 17' or older than 2006, I was told 17' would not be comfortable on the St. Lawrence River

Will-Sandy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks sasto, Pompano Beach is where the boat is located the only holdup is the bank down there

Thalasso

Commander

I checked those listings out they are either 17' or older than 2006, I was told 17' would not be comfortable on the St. Lawrence River

What you were told is correct. I sunk one on the St Lawrence out of Mallory town in 1987. Spent 14hrs marooned on one of the islands before the Canadian Park Service picked us up.It gets darn windy out there at night

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I'm afraid that an 18' boat of the style you are looking at won't be much better than a 17'.

There are far more variables than length to determine if a boat is suited for particular conditions. A sea worthy hull form and a self bailing cockpit are 2 things a typical 17-19' bowrider does not have.

That being said, the Sea Ray 185 Sport is a fine boat for use on calm/protected waters for general recreational activities. I'm just curious to know why you are looking at/buying one 1500 miles from home.