Can I use different height tires together

tbebko

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys/gals, I have st205/75r14 on the trailer and they are 26.1" OD I got a free :D spare wheel with a st215/75d14 tire on it (27.1" OD). Question is can I use the taller tire in case of emergency to get home? Can I let air out of it so the center of the wheel will sit at the same height as the center of the regular wheel?

Help Please.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Can I use different height tires together

If the lug pattern is a match...and you know that you will have fender clearance...no problem, as the spare!

Do not let out the air...underinflated tires are the reason that you see so many pieces of tires lying on the sides of the Interstate....

tbebko

Seaman Apprentice

The lugs fit and the fender clearance is good also. Will it make the trailer want to go one way or another (not go straight is what I'm trying to say) if one tire is larger OD?

QC

Supreme Mariner

No, the wheels spin independently. They don't know how fast the other tire(s) are going and don't care. Nothing between them like a differential to cause an issue. You could probably run like that forever unless there is some other suspension issue which is unlikely with what I think is a single axle trailer.

reelfishin

Captain

One a straight axle leaf spring trailer, the worst case scenario is that over a long time, the tires may show more edge wear than the other axle but that's about it.

If you have torsion axles, they would wear the same. As a spare, it's no big deal, I've often just carried a smaller spare with me rather than hauling the bigger tire around. I'd trial fit the odd tire just to be sure, make sure the hub center and lugs are the same and that it don't rub anywhere.

Jeep Man

Commander

No problem for the short term. If you do blow a tire, remember it is not the tire size difference that is the total cause of the height difference. Height can vary from mfg. to mfg. with tires of the same size. When you buy a replacement go with the brand you have or measure height to match.