Can I trust the original factory transducer placement?

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice
I own 1994 Stratos 217F that is in need of an electronics upgrade. The new unit, a Lowrance x-125, is not compatable with the older Lowrance transducers that were factory installed. Can I trust that the positions of the original transducers were optimal and that, since they were epoxied on the surface of the inside, that there are no issues with coring, lamination in that area? Thanks for the input.............<br /><br />/mike

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Can I trust the original factory transducer placement?

Welcome to the board! :) <br /><br />I maybe tend to be a bit cynical, but you can trust nothing from the boat factory. On the other hand, since that ‘ducer hasn’t been moved in 11 years, might be ok. You should take a look at the faq on www.airmar.com and read about transducer placement to see if you think the location meets the criteria for proper placement.<br /><br />Also, it may be possible the existing ‘ducer is compatible with newer electronics if you change the plug or get an adapter so it fits the new fishfinder’s head. Depends on what your new e-toys will be. Airmar also makes those adapters.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree w/ 18rabbit as far as not trusting anything from the factory, but I must ask how well did it work for the 11 years it was where it is. That should answer your question. Good luck, Joe

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys! Boat originally came w/ a dash mounted Lowrance flasher and cheapie H-bird graph. Since most of my time is spent chasing fish I needed to up grade. I did swap in the Eagle Ultra II as it was compatable with the glassed in transducers, however it lost function in very shallow or very deep water. I'm not sure if it was a result of a bad head unit (I have had this unit and used it hard for some time), Bad transducers(though the flasher seems to be OK with either of them), poor placement, or just inadequate power for shooting through the hull on this boat.<br /><br /> I have purchased a Lowrance x-125 and will be glassing in a pod type 'ducer with a remote temp sensor. More specifically I guess I was really wondering about the construction of the spot the factory chose to glass their 'ducers. I know that laminations or cores are a no-no, and since this is an older boat how can I determine, without drilling additional holes, the make-up of the area I am choosing to glue onto? Stratos is no longer owned by the original company and no information is available from the current owners regarding my boat. Any further insight before I start mixing the epoxy will be most appreciated! Thanks again!<br /><br />/mike

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice

Well................ in this case I guess the factory did have the proper transducer location nailed, however.... I found that they chose to glue at the angle the hull presented rather than try to find a more level area OR to level that area.<br /><br />My decision was to use that location, but to provide a more level mounting surface. SO... After levelling the rig in the drive, I ground the high side down about as far as I dared (I was pretty conservative), cleaned up the spot and mixed about a half a cup of JB weld and poured it in. Area pretty much self levelled and only needed minor work to provide a clean, solid level mounting surface for the transducer. <br /><br />I also took some more advice gleaned from this board and used the 3M 4200 sealant to glue the transducer, just in the event that I might have to move it. So far, I am mighty pleased with everything. Thanks for the advice, all!<br /><br />/mike