Can I Tow My Boat with this???

Miroash

Banned
I have a 1988 Seaswirl bowrider with a 120hp Johnson. I was told that the boat weighs about 2200lbs, I do not know this for a fact what the actual weight is. I will be towing it with a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country Mini Van that is FWD with a 3.8L engine. I know the van will not have any trouble pulling it down the road, as I have already done that. My concern is will it do ok at the ramp, being FWD, I fear there will be too much weight on the rear wheels and not enough on the drives when it is on an incline and possibly wet when I pull it out of the water.

soonerdg

Cadet
Re: Can I Tow My Boat with this???

I have an 03 Dodge Caravan Sport that I've pulled our boat with and had no problems. The towing capacity of your van should be about 3500 lbs if you have the class II hitch. On a 2200lb boat your tongue weight should only be about 220 lbs so it won't be overloading the rear of the van. I've not had any trouble pulling mine up some fairly steep ramps. I do always drive with both feet when pulling up the ramp. I hold the brake until I put the van in gear and give a little throttle then ease off of the brake. This way you don't roll backwards and she pulls right on up the ramp. If you start rolling backwards and then try to go forward you're much more likely to lose traction.

Miroash

Banned

Ok! Thanks. Although it wasn?t the tongue weight I was concerned with as it isn?t very much at all because I can lift the tongue of the trailer by myself with no trouble. I was more concerned with the incline and the moisture.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok! Thanks. Although it wasn?t the tongue weight I was concerned with as it isn?t very much at all because I can lift the tongue of the trailer by myself with no trouble. I was more concerned with the incline and the moisture.

If you boat weighs 2200# ish, you should have some trouble lifting the tongue with the boat on it unless you are really , really strong . 10% min. should be on the tongue, so 220#, yes? That really should not affect traction at the ramp that much. My dad tows a 1500# rig w/ a worn out T&C with no problem at all even with a couple loaded tool boxes,tow chain, spare tire, and a 200# electric scooter in the back.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

Is the boat 2200 lbs or the whole package. If it's only the boat and motor and fuel, then you should be looking at a tow weight of about 3000 lbs. BTW, I believe the tow rating for the T&C is a maximum of 3500 lbs with the tow package and 2000 lbs without. I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.8L so I am assuming the T&C is the same.

For getting up the ramp, I have heard people say that it should be no problem. However, I would definitely recommend that you keep your tires maintained. If your tires are worn, you may have a hard time pulling out if the ramp is wet.

The question isn't whether the engine can handle it (plenty of power and torque), but another consideration is the transmission and brakes.

Now having said all this, I tow a rig that is about 1000 lbs total weight and it feels like there is nothing in the back. I'm pretty sure that your minivan can handle the rig you describe, but I would consider getting a transmission cooler installed.

Miroash

Banned

The question isn't whether the engine can handle it (plenty of power and torque), but another consideration is the transmission and brakes.

I have no doubt the van can handle the boat. When I was towing it home, it was raining and I was at a stoplight and when I went to accelerate when the light turned green the tires spun and it was flat ground at the stoplight. That is why I was concerned about what it would be like on the ramp being it will not be "flat ground". I attached some photo's of the boat.

Attachments

• 1988 Seasquirt-3.jpg
    1988 Seasquirt-3.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1988 Seasquirt-4.jpg
    1988 Seasquirt-4.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1988 Seasquirt-1.jpg
    1988 Seasquirt-1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1988 Seasquirt-2.jpg
    1988 Seasquirt-2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 0

soonerdg

Cadet

I have no doubt the van can handle the boat. When I was towing it home, it was raining and I was at a stoplight and when I went to accelerate when the light turned green the tires spun and it was flat ground at the stoplight. That is why I was concerned about what it would be like on the ramp being it will not be "flat ground". I attached some photo's of the boat.

He's right, if you don't have the transmission cooler you need to get one. Pulling more than 2000lbs without it will kill your tranny.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Proper tires will make all the difference in the world. Don't go cheap, but don't get anything too soft (they wear too quickly). A good directional wet weather tread will have you laughing your way up the ramp, a cheap all weather tire will have you sweating, and spinning tires.

Ian

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

You should be able to tow 3800 lbs according to this but it's calling for some sort of tow package.

I can assure you towing anything other than a sunfish sailboat is tough on a FWD vehicle's transmission. I'd get a complete trans service and consider an aftermarket trans cooler.

Miroash

Banned

I'd get a complete trans service and consider an aftermarket trans cooler.

The Transmission is new. just replaced it in February. It was not replaced due to a towing issue I had never towed anything with it until a month ago.

NYBo

Admiral

I've owned four Chrysler minivans over the years, and towed a boat with a couple of them. Some observations:

1. Make absolutely sure that the transmission shop used ATF+4. Anything else will cause fried clutches in 20K-25K miles without towing a thing. Dexron plus an additive DOES NOT work, despite what places like AAMCO (All Automatics Must Come Out) claim.

2. Definitely add an external transmission cooler. Heat is your transmission's biggest enemy.

3. Follow the directions in your owner's manual as to whether to use or lock out overdrive. Chrysler has varies this advice from year to year. For my 2005 Pacifica (uses the same transaxle as your van), they recommend leaving overdrive on when towing.

4. The brakes in Chrysler minivans, especially the generation 3 and 4 vans (yours is Gen 4), are marginal even without the load of a trailer. I strongly recommend adding at least surge brakes to the trailer. After one panic stop with them you'll be glad you did.

5. Your drive wheels will be unloaded by the tongue weight of the trailer, and the steeper the ramp, the more problem this will be. However, the front (driven) wheels are likely to be on a dry part of the ramp.

Miroash

Banned

trailer is equiped with brakes, im not worried about stopping, im worried about getting up the ramp. im gonna try it tomorrow.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Additional tranny cooler is a must in my opinion.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a 93 T & C 3.3 valve with a class 3 hitch, I pulled everything under the sun with that van an traded it in when it had a mere 260800 something miles on it. I loved that van like no other. As a matter of fact it was that van that convinced me dodge was king and I now own a beautiful 04 quad cab ram with a 5.7 liter hemi. No worries with that van. Chrysler/ Dodge makes em tough. Ever see Ford or Toyota talk smack about dodge on there truck commercials? Nope.

CaptainYARRR

Seaman

That's not why you want a tranny cooler, you want one so your transmission lives a long happy life. Keep an eye on your temp gauge, if it moves at all, it's not uncommon to need another cooler. They are cheap and easy to install.

Miroash

Banned

That's not why you want a tranny cooler, you want one so your transmission lives a long happy life. Keep an eye on your temp gauge, if it moves at all, it's not uncommon to need another cooler. They are cheap and easy to install.

The dealer replaced the cooler when they replace the tranmission, they said they wanted to make sure it did not have any trash in it from when the origonal tranmission when bad. and they wanted to make sure it wasnt plugged

Miroash

Banned

Im not sure how this thread turned into a "buy a tranny cooler thread" I was just wondering if the van would be able to get up a ramp, not up and down the highway, that part I already knew. but I still appreciate everyones help and concern for trying to save my transmission. Thanks again

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yes, it will pull up most ramps most of the time with little or no tire spin. The other part of the time it will spin the tires and may not be able to pull the boat up, especially on steep, damp, algae covered ramps.