Can I Tow a Tube From A Ski Pylon?

allthrottle92

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Can I Tow a Tube From A Ski Pylon?

Just letting everyone know i have a 91 F/S that i install a ski pylon from gander mountian on and tested it today. works outstanding and paid close attention to the stress on the pylon. did not notice anything out of the ordinary. we tubed with it all day today. great piece of equipment.

allthrottle92

Seaman Apprentice

Here are a couple of pics how it turned out.

IMG00320-20100705-0649.jpg

IMG00321-20100705-0649.jpg

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Kind of an old thread to revive, but the topic is important so I will bite. I have pulled tubes from a pylon without issue for several years. Although I never experienced any kind of pylon failure, the manufactures recommendation was always in the back of my mind. I continued pulling by the pylon because the riders experience was so much better with the higher tow point that kept the rope out of the wake. This spring I noticed that SportsSuff made a tow rope that has a large ball in the middle of the rope. I pasted below a link to the Booster Ball that is for sale here on iBoats. The ball keeps the rope out of the wake just like the ski pylon does, but it is safer because now my rope is connected to a bridle that connects to each of my transom eyes. Now I can tow tubes without fear that my pylon may fail, and the riders get the experience they are looking for. The ball also has the added benefit of additional visibility which I think also enhances safety. I can certainly understand the temptation to tow from the pylon because I did it for years, but I do recommend upgrading to something like the Booster Ball over a pylon.

http://www.iboats.com/4k-Booster-Ball/dm/*******.842146275--**********.348352663--view_id.484190

tcgobucks

Seaman

The stress that a "submarining" tube can put on a pylon is unbelievable. My dad's boat has a built in factory pylon mounted directly to the stringers with additional bracing thru the top of the hull. Kind of hard to describe. My uncle used to slalom ski behind the boat. He was very big and very strong. Used to pull the boat all over the place....unlike anyone else we've ever had behind this boat. No problems at all with the pylon system. Last year I was pulling 2 kids on a standard tube....hole in the middle, with canvas bottom. Went to take off and the tube went straight down. I backed off the throttle as soon as I saw it start to go under, but it was already too late. Put a very substantial bend in our pylon. Ended up taking it to a welding shop with a 12-ton press to straighten it back out. If that kind of strain was put on an aftermarket pylon with the "quick connect" rear mounts like shown in the picture above, I can guarantee that it doesn't hold up.....

apache61

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I read a post about this on another tread, some e-mailed one of the tube manufactures. It came down to this from the manufacture if the tow rope broke the chances were higher that person on tube could hit with back lash from the tow rope

45Auto

Commander

Don't know about third hand information from somebody who supposedly knows somebody who emailed a manufacturer, but it's not that hard to check for yourself. All the manufacturer's I'm aware of don't recommend using a pylon for towing tubes because of the HUGE loads a tube can put on them.

You can always go check the manufacturer's sites and see what they say. This came from Attwood:

pylon.jpg

rufnutz

Recruit

we have a pole on our boat which was bent beyond use due to the biscuit flipping over at speed and reconnecting with the water. This created an air lock, the outer of the tube filled with water suddenly, almost like dropping an anchor at speed. pylon is no longer in service, so answer to the question, yes, you can tow a tube, but also yes, it can ruin your pylon.

hey guys your talking safety here - peoples lives - yea maybe years no problem but you really want to see someones head knocked off by that thing or the rope flying thru the air - not to mention whenever something happens (without hurting anyone) it seems to tear the hell out of my boat.

good topic

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

My friend had a Casad brand pylon in his runabout and was pulling a tuber at a sharp angle while turning. His side brace buckled injuring his step daughter sitting in the back seat. Broke her arm if I remember right. Happened in the late 80's or early 90's.

oldjeep

Admiral

My mother inlaw learned 2 lessons about towing tubes behind a ski boat this summer.
1) Don't use a ski rope
2) Don't attach it to the pylon

She was towing a tuber , rope snapped and drilled her in the back of the head - there was a shock tube on the rope but the end still got her and left a nice welt. Messed up the camera mount on the pylon. Even though there was no damage to the pylon itself, it puts a rope break event really close to your head (in a ski boat).