can I convert to a primer system evenrude 115hp

jqueen

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
8
Can I convert to a primer system on my evenrude 1973 115hp. I am having alot of trouble cranking it when its cold, and due to some missing linkage, and a few other factors I can not rig an acceptable system for choking this engine reliably.
It runs fine if I spray mixed gas while I'm turning the engine over, but this is not practical.....long term.
I do have a good parts motor(a johnson 1980 85hp)that has the primer system on it. But since I have never owned a engine with a primer system, I dont know if I would be any better off.........even If it is even possible.

Any help at all would be appriciated
 

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Feb 4, 2001
Messages
16,978
Re: can I convert to a primer system evenrude 115hp

No problem. Done it many times. You can inject into the by-pass covers or into the intake at the top of each carb. Injecting into the intake works best (gets the reeds wetter quicker).
 

jqueen

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
8
Re: can I convert to a primer system evenrude 115hp

the parts motor i have(1980 model 85hp) takes gas from the main fuel line (after the fuel pump)
then injects it into the .....port covers? then goes from the port covers to the intake.
should i order a gasket set, and change reeds/intake and port covers, so that i have the fittings necessary to connect the little hoses, or is there a way to use the existing port covers and reed/intake and tap them somehow?

Thats probably a dumb question, but I'm getting lost in the details
 

SparkieBoat

Captain
Joined
Aug 17, 2009
Messages
3,643
Re: can I convert to a primer system evenrude 115hp

I have an 79 85HP johnson with the choke butterflies, works like a champ for me. but you do have to have the linkage set properly so both butterflies close completely. seems easier to fix linkage than change over, but either way should work.
 

jqueen

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
8
Re: can I convert to a primer system evenrude 115hp

The bottom cowl was bent so I had to change it, and I used the cowl of the 1980 85hp parts motor I have. the manual choke wont work because there's no place in the cowl to accept the pull knob. the electric choke closes it fine, but I cant figure out the right combo of springs to get the choke back open again once I let off the key.

Dhadley said to inject into the intake or the by-pass covers, but on the 85hp it looks like it is injected into the bypass covers and then recirculated into the intake.

does it need to be recirculated or can it just be injected into the by-pass cover?(that would be much easier because I wont have to take off the carbs and the intake.
 

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Feb 4, 2001
Messages
16,978
Re: can I convert to a primer system evenrude 115hp

The second line in your by-pass covers are for the recirc system. They have nothing to do with the primer system. You can use the covers from the other motor and plug the second nipple or put nipples in the carbs. Either way will work but thru the top of the carbs directly into the intake works the best.
 

jqueen

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
8
Re: can I convert to a primer system evenrude 115hp

would you please send me a picture or a diagram of where and how to install the nipples on the top of the carbs or intake.(I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean.)

Thanks alot for all the help!
 

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Feb 4, 2001
Messages
16,978
Re: can I convert to a primer system evenrude 115hp

We use a new style carb base gasket as a template, the one with a hole for the fuel to be injected thru. From the gasket side of the carb drill a hole up & thru the carb base. The nipple goes in from the top in the hole.

The hole & nipple now line up with the channel in the intake between the 2 intake throats. Mount the primer, hose it up, hook up the wires that used to operate the choke and you're done.
 
Top