Can anyone tell me year of motor?

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a 18hp Fastwin motor I got for my boat but I don?t know the year. Can anyone tell me please? The tag on the mount say 15032-05071
Thank you.
18hp-fastwin.jpg

Last edited:

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Can anyone tell me year of motor?

My birth year! :D
A great big fat Thank You to both!:D
A gold star for the back of your boat also.
Thanks
Rick

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Two gold stars for tashasdaddy!:D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Fuel mix is 24:1
Spark plugs are Champion J4C (replaced original J4J) gapped at .030"
Points are gapped at .020"

Do I get a gold star, too?? :)

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fuel mix is 24:1
Spark plugs are Champion J4C (replaced original J4J) gapped at .030"
Points are gapped at .020"

Do I get a gold star, too?? :)

:D Two Gold Stars for you also! Why because it?s a two cylinder two stroke motor! ;)

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

What a beauty! Excellent condition, too. Do you have a period boat you are going to put it on?

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What a beauty! Excellent condition, too. Do you have a period boat you are going to put it on?

Thank you very much and I guess I could say yes. I'm putting it on a 1969 Chrysler Cadet Modified V-hull. I got the boat for free, you see see it here at this link I am restoring it. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=284156 It is in the Iboat Boat Restoration and Building forum.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Nice motor. I've sold some like that in the past. This should offer you many good years of service, with proper care.
Once you get a manual for it, then you may want to go over it and see about checking all the vital tune up procedures on it and make sure it's ready to go to work.

Coils and water pump impellers are two of the main things to check over. there is a small access plate, on top of the flywheel to remove, if you want to get a visual of your coils. If you see any cracking, then replace them. If this motor sat for any length of time, then it's a pretty safe bet that the water pump impeller is in need of replacement.

Also check the lower unit oil and make sure it's clean and no "milkiness" in the color. Sometimes, fishing line will get caught on the prop shaft and chew up the prop seal, so check and make sure your prop area is clean and your shear pin is in good condition.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask any of us here. Good luck with the motor.;)

Leon

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just the facts!

Just the facts!

You know all the guys on this board are great!
Do all of you gentlemen realize, typically, how rare it is to find people that are so willing to help others? Let alone how very rare it is that people will, unprompted, offer very good and much needed advice?
Believe me I am not patronizing any of you at all just relating the facts.
1946Zephyr, I was not aware of none of what you have told me and rest assured I will take this first to a qualified mechanic to look over all of what you have told me to do.
I have until next spring to make sure my boat is up and running properly so I am not in a hurry to get it into the water.
After the first time of having it looked over and any work needed done I will then maintain the motor myself.
I am a pretty good mechanic myself but I also know enough (and not so full of pride :) ) to take this in the first time, so an old timer can find things that I never would think of first.
With encouragement from men like Jspringator and help from men like JB, Tashasdaddy, F R, Freddyray21 & 1946Zephyer I feel positive that I will have a minimum of problems and years of good safe fun with my boat after I get it done.
It truly is a shame that I don?t have many opportunities to meet people like you guys in person in my dally walk of life.
Some of you know and some do not know that I am dealing with the recent lose of my mother and have not worked on my boat in the last week or so. But I am feeling a little better about things and slowly I am getting back to my boat like, asking about my motor. It may not be to long until I get back to work on it and get back to posting my progress also.
In the last 17 years I have been involved with a lot of forums such as this one but of all of them this one has to be the most pleasant, courteous, and the most helpful I have seen.
Rick

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A funny thing was when I was looking up information and trying to figure out the year of my motor I ran across a GREAT web site!

Shoot these guys are able to tell the motor just by the numbers on them! Man how cool is that?

I was excited about that and I could not wate to tell the people on Iboats about this web site I found.

Then when I copied the address I know these guys are going to love this and then it hit me?.. Hey! This information is posted on I boats, I was already at the web site.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, it's good to meet good people. I'm one who will second that motion.

Welcome to the Forum!:D:D

Why do you want to pay high prices to have that gem worked on, when you have just joined iBoats Forum and met good guys. If you're any kind of a mechanic, you'll do fine with that ol' 18 of yours. You'll sh*t your drawers when you find out how fun and simple they are to work on.

First off, with this, just clamp a 2x4 in a good strong vise and hang the motor on it. WOW!! no crawling under the darned thing. Please do make sure that your vice is mounted good and strong though. There's nothing that can **** you off more, than to have your motor come crashing down. Never happened to me yet....thank God, but be careful.

Buy the manual and study this beast. Get to know it and read up on the maintenence of it. They're a lot simpler than they appear and far easier on your back (and wallet) than cars. You did get a nice classic, by the way.
Those old 18's are probably in the top 2 of the best motors, built by Johny/Rude.

And yes, you are right. There's a lot of good guys here and some are antique outboard enthusiasts, too. If they ever tell you that you have a "disease" when it comes to collecting old outboards, don't let it **** you off. They'll often post pics of THEIR own restored classics when they talk sh*t to you like this. These guys have some nice antique classics too.

Have fun and welcome to iBoats Forum!!:D

Leon

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, it's good to meet good people. I'm one who will second that motion.

Welcome to the Forum!:D:D

Why do you want to pay high prices to have that gem worked on, when you have just joined iBoats Forum and met good guys. If you're any kind of a mechanic, you'll do fine with that ol' 18 of yours. You'll sh*t your drawers when you find out how fun and simple they are to work on.

First off, with this, just clamp a 2x4 in a good strong vise and hang the motor on it. WOW!! no crawling under the darned thing. Please do make sure that your vice is mounted good and strong though. There's nothing that can **** you off more, than to have your motor come crashing down. Never happened to me yet....thank God, but be careful.

Buy the manual and study this beast. Get to know it and read up on the maintenence of it. They're a lot simpler than they appear and far easier on your back (and wallet) than cars. You did get a nice classic, by the way.
Those old 18's are probably in the top 2 of the best motors, built by Johny/Rude.

And yes, you are right. There's a lot of good guys here and some are antique outboard enthusiasts, too. If they ever tell you that you have a "disease" when it comes to collecting old outboards, don't let it **** you off. They'll often post pics of THEIR own restored classics when they talk sh*t to you like this. These guys have some nice antique classics too.

Have fun and welcome to iBoats Forum!!:D

Leon

Hey thanks for the kind words! I have been hanging out over here at this link http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=284156

I am restoring a 1969 Chrysler Cadet Modified V-hull as far as I could tell at least. It was free. I have posted every step of what I have done so far and have many photos of my work.

I am very good with my hands and a pretty good mechanic also. I use to drag race a 525 HP, 550 pounds of thrust 2000 Camaro SS that I built myself. So I think I could do the work myself my only worry is that being new to this type of motor would be over looking something that I don?t even know should be fixed.

Flames1.jpg

4.jpg

I was trying to find phtotos of the motor but I can't any yet! :mad:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, with those kind of qualifications, you could easily fix you're old 18. Trust me on this. After building a Camaro like that, you'll start chucklin at this outboard. You'll do fine.

I have a 1953 Johnson 25hp, that I'm about to restore and I'm thinking about restoring my 1946 Evinrude Zephyr, again.

:cool:

redfury

Commander

Well, to add to this thread, I've got an 18 Fast twin available to me from a friend. It doesn't turn over, but the tiller handle is broken off, so it might just be in gear or the throttle is in the wrong position.

I've worked on my 25hp Johnson enough to be familiar with the way outboards work, or should I say-protect themselves from human intervention. If I can clear a spot in my basement, I think I'm going to pick it up and see what I can do with it....exact same motor from the photos I've seen. I'll be interested to hear about any of the nuances you discover with this motor Rick.;)

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, to add to this thread, I've got an 18 Fast twin available to me from a friend. It doesn't turn over, but the tiller handle is broken off, so it might just be in gear or the throttle is in the wrong position.

I've worked on my 25hp Johnson enough to be familiar with the way outboards work, or should I say-protect themselves from human intervention. If I can clear a spot in my basement, I think I'm going to pick it up and see what I can do with it....exact same motor from the photos I've seen. I'll be interested to hear about any of the nuances you discover with this motor Rick.;)

Hey Mike,
Here is a link for a search on this site for 18 hp Fastwin
http://forums.iboats.com/search.php?searchid=2560274

Good info here and there!