Can anyone help electrical question

Pensarmy

Recruit
I know this is a boating page, and I apologize for posting this here because it has nothing to do with boating.

I have a 24v electronic go-kart and I was just wondering if I can add another 12 v battery to the system to give me more speed and power. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the on-board charger is only 12 volts, adding another battery will only add the weight of the other battery, then you would be undercharging the batteries and that is not good for battery life.

if the motor controller is only good for 24 volts and you introduce 36 volts, you may let out the magic smoke

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Would adding a bigger gas tank to a car make the car go faster?

Options: Higher HP motor, gear change.

Pensarmy

Recruit

Options: Higher HP motor, gear change.
I apologized I understood this wasn't a boating question but I was under the impression that it would be ok to ask the question. Again I apologize, I don't go through life pretending to know everything and I certainly don't make the highlight of my day trying to insult people because they ask questions. But what if the "bigger gas tank" had less gas therefore less weight then the original "gas tank" there would be an increase in speed wouldn't there?

Pensarmy

Recruit
if the on-board charger is only 12 volts, adding another battery will only add the weight of the other battery, then you would be undercharging the batteries and that is not good for battery life.

if the motor controller is only good for 24 volts and you introduce 36 volts, you may let out the magic smoke
So would I first need to look into a 36v motor controller? I will see if I can find that out on the website for the kart maker
Thanks for answe

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So would I first need to look into a 36v motor controller? I will see if I can find that out on the website for the kart maker
Thanks for answe
Need a new motor and probably a new gear box as well since RPM factors into this as well ;)

The flaw in your theory is that motors are wound to a particular HP rating.

One (1) HP = 714 watts.
Watts = Volts X Amps

With Watts fixed by the motors HP rating, increasing the voltage simply decreases the amperage. The motor would run longer yet still put out the same HP.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I apologized I understood this wasn't a boating question but I was under the impression that it would be ok to ask the question. Again I apologize, I don't go through life pretending to know everything and I certainly don't make the highlight of my day trying to insult people because they ask questions. But what if the "bigger gas tank" had less gas therefore less weight then the original "gas tank" there would be an increase in speed wouldn't there?
Sorry I wasn't trying to insult you. I was trying to just use an example to easily explain what @dingbat did above in a much better manner. Sorry again!

I'd like to add to dingbats explanation if no one minds?

An electric motor needs the proper voltage to operate, in your case 24v. Raising the the voltage from a battery supply will only cook the motor.

Quick read explaining hooking batteries in series vs parallel.

But I stand by what dingbat and I mentioned. You'll either need a higher horsepower motor and/or change gear ratios.

Just as an example:
Take a plain Jane automobile and you want more power. (Let's forget about computer reprogramming and NOS). Change the fuel system (as in changing your battery system) won't increase power or speed. Changing parts in and on the motor will, but that would equate to changing the motor to a higher HP motor. Changing the gear ratio won't increase motor HP but it can effect using the power to peak performance. Hope I made a little sense. :unsure:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
So would I first need to look into a 36v motor controller? I will see if I can find that out on the website for the kart maker.
Better ask the car maker if possible to increase the output power of your current electric vehicle, should receive much better straight tech answers...

Happy Boating

tpenfield

Staff member

:ROFLMAO: Love that response.

36 volts into a motor designed for 24 volts . . . Is that the electrical version of nitrous oxide ?

tpenfield

Staff member
@Pensarmy Sorry . . . 'We' are just having some fun.

Faster means more power (right?)

More power would mean more volts or more current.

I assume that your electric motor is drawing the amount of current that it can from the 24 volt system . . . sooo, it would mean more voltage. But the motor is meant for 24volts. It could be interesting . . . 36 volts into a 24 volt motor - try it :LOL:

Chief Petty Officer
Yes you absolutely can with no ill effects if you stay within an acceptable 24V range.

Listen to me.

Swap out your lead acid batteries to LiFePO4 .

dolluper

Captain
You have an electric motor with a horsepower rating... It seems you want the max horsepower faster ..With more battery full charged power and a limit controller you may achieve that... But others have said bigger more horsepower and gearing would work better
Google electric car drag racing... Old buddy Don is at it big time or big daddy

dolluper

Captain
This is the record breaking video beat Don's record for electric car drag racing