Can anyone give an idea what was here?

Medic2556

Cadet
I bought a 1990 Marlin to place the motor from my Glasstream into, but there is a puzzle I need to figure out first. The transom had something on it, as noted by the 4 screw holes on each side. There are a lot of cracks in the gelcoat, and the swim platform was loosely attached.
1. Can anyone have any idea what may have been attached here?
2. How can you tell how solid the transom is?
3. I know the floor needs to be replaced, but there is a strong smell of gas. How can I cut down the fumes as not to spark a flaming boat?
4. Is it easier to replace the floor after the motor is placed or before?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

kalla man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Can anyone give an idea what was here?

looks like there were some trim tabs back there. just drill into the transom and see what your wood shavings look like. its a good idea to measure the thickness of the transom and wrap a piece of tape on your drill bit to keep yourself from drilling through the interior skin (so you dont have to fill that in too) if the wood is dry and crisp, just fill your holes and your golden. I am unfamiliar with IO's so Im not gonna be much help with any of your other questions but i would assume that it would be easier to replace the floor with the motor out if your going to take it out anyway.. and for the gas smell try to wash down with some really soapy water into the bilge?? and inspect the tank and lines

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep trim tabs, I would replace them and fill up those holes

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Medic You need to find and repair the source of the gas leak. It can be a hose or the tank itself. i recommend you drain and remove the tank when you tear out the old floor. Now test the tank for leaks, replace the hoses if they are old and reistall the non-leaking tank (or a new one). make a removeable panel for over the gas tank, so you can get to it if needby.

You can usually replace the floor in a I/O with the motor installed. There is usually sufficient clearance around the motor where the floor stops to screw the floor to the stringers

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

when you get your gas tank redone ask for a new sender they are cheap and will give you an acurate reading on your fuel gauge:)